Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bitdefender total security paranoid mode not working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rickh2

rickh2

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:14 AM

Hi I am a really paranoid person, especially regarding security. I suspect that someone saw my phone number for the lte modem. I am not sharing the modem to anyone and not bringing my computer anywhere else but home. So I guess everything that the eventual hackers might have is my phone number and probably copied session for my email account.

Recently I've installed bitdefender total security. Enabled paranoid mode. Worked for one day giving me a reasonable number of notifications. Next day nothing, zero notifications whatsoever. I ran some windowsstore app like 6tin and I saw that the app automatically popped on the bitdefender allowed list without any notification, and the paranoid mode is still up.

What to do here? Is this a common "bug" in bitdefender?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,502 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:46 AM

You should ask Bit Defender why you are not getting notifications after checking your settings and confirming it is in paranoid mode. Either in

their user forum or by sending them an email.

What Is Paranoid Mode?! - Firewall - Bitdefender Forum

QUOTE: The improved Firewall feature in Bitdefender 2018

SETTINGS

Users can now enable and disable Stealth Mode and Paranoid Mode from the Settings tab.

• In Paranoid mode, alerts are shown each time an application tries to connect to the internet. When Paranoid mode is turned on, the Autopilot and Profiles features are automatically switched off. Paranoid mode can be used simultaneously with Battery Mode.

• Stealth mode establishes whether you can be detected by other computers. Click the Edit stealth settings to choose when your device should or should not be visible to other computers.

Users can also choose a default application behavior, which will allow Bitdefender to apply automatic settings to applications with no defined rules. Click Configure applications to choose whether automatic settings should be applied or not.

Can't find a solution for your problem? Open an email ticket and we will answer the question or concern in the shortest time possible.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 rickh2

rickh2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 06:22 AM

I did, they recommended reinstalling, worked for a minute or two, tried to recreate the problem with a different app and poof no notification and my system process load went up to 25% with my touchpad having huge delays. But yes I agree that this is their product issue, although this seems like a flaw or a bug

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,502 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:43 AM

Could be some other security program or a bug. Try using the program below and posting the results. If you have a problem with using

it try disabling Bit Defender's real time protection before downloading and scanning with it.

• download Security Check by glax24 and save the file to the Desktop
  • Run the tool by accepting all the Security prompts
  • when complete the tool will produce a log file C:\SecurityCheck\SecurityCheck.txt and also copy the contents to the Clipboard
  • Simply Paste the log to your reply

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 rickh2

rickh2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:23 AM

SecurityCheck by glax24 & Severnyj v.1.4.0.52 [25.07.17]
DateLog: 17.09.2017 15:17:26
Path starting: C:\Users\xyz\AppData\Local\Temp\SecurityCheck\SecurityCheck.exe
Log directory: C:\SecurityCheck\
IsAdmin: True
User: xyz
VersionXML: 4.62is-12.09.2017

Windows 10(6.3.15063) (x64) Professional Release: 1703 Lang: Polish(0415)
Installation date OS: 14.06.2017 18:41:23
LicenseStatus: Windows®, Professional edition The machine is permanently activated.
LicenseStatus: Office 16, Office16O365HomePremR_Grace edition Windows is in Notification mode
Boot Mode: Normal
Default Browser: Microsoft Edge (C:\WINDOWS\system32\LaunchWinApp.exe)
SystemDrive: C: FS: [NTFS] Capacity: [117.9 Gb] Used: [59.8 Gb] Free: [58.1 Gb]
------------------------------- [ Windows ] -------------------------------
Internet Explorer 11.0.15063.0 Warning! Download Update
Online installation. Last version available when Windows update is enabled throught the Internet.
User Account Control enabled
Windows Update (wuauserv) - The service is running
Centrum zabezpieczeń (wscsvc) - The service is running
Rejestr zdalny (RemoteRegistry) - The service has stopped
Odnajdywanie SSDP (SSDPSRV) - The service is running
Usługi pulpitu zdalnego (TermService) - The service is running
Zdalne zarządzanie systemem Windows (WS-Management) (WinRM) - The service has stopped
System Restore Disable
---------------------------- [ Antivirus_WMI ] ----------------------------
Windows Defender (disabled and up to date)
Bitdefender Ochrona antywirusowa (enabled and up to date)
---------------------------- [ Firewall_WMI ] -----------------------------
Bitdefender Zapora Sieciowa (enabled)
--------------------------- [ AntiSpyware_WMI ] ---------------------------
Bitdefender Moduł antyszpiegowski (enabled and up to date)
Windows Defender (disabled and up to date)
---------------------- [ AntiVirusFirewallInstall ] -----------------------
Arcabit Skaner Online v.1.0.4
Bitdefender Total Security v.22.0.10.141
Bitdefender Agent v.21.0.25.59
Bitdefender Device Management v.22.0.8.114
--------------------------- [ OtherUtilities ] ----------------------------
Wireshark 2.4.0 64-bit v.2.4.0 Warning! Download Update
-------------------------------- [ Java ] ---------------------------------
Java SE Development Kit 8 Update 131 (64-bit) v.8.0.1310.11 Warning! Download Update
Uninstall old version and install new one (jdk-8u144-windows-x64.exe).
Java SE Development Kit 8 Update 131 v.8.0.1310.11 Warning! Download Update
Uninstall old version and install new one (jdk-8u144-windows-i586.exe).
------------------------------- [ Browser ] -------------------------------
Google Chrome v.60.0.3112.113 Warning! Download Update
Mozilla Firefox 55.0.3 (x86 pl) v.55.0.3
--------------------------- [ RunningProcess ] ----------------------------
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe v.55.0.3.6445
------------------ [ AntivirusFirewallProcessServices ] -------------------
C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\bdagent.exe v.22.0.10.127
C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\bdwtxag.exe v.22.0.10.127
ProductAgentService (ProductAgentService) - The service is running
C:\Program Files\Bitdefender Agent\ProductAgentService.exe v.21.0.25.56
Bitdefender Desktop Update Service (UPDATESRV) - The service is running
C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\updatesrv.exe v.22.0.10.127
Bitdefender Virus Shield (VSSERV) - The service is running
C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\vsserv.exe v.22.0.10.141
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCuiL.exe v.4.11.15063.0
Usługa Program antywirusowy Windows Defender (WinDefend) - The service has stopped
Usługa inspekcji sieci Programu antywirusowego Windows Defender (WdNisSvc) - The service has stopped
---------------------------- [ UnwantedApps ] -----------------------------
C:\Windows\Sysmon.exe v.6.3.0.0
----------------------------- [ End of Log ] ------------------------------

Edited by rickh2, 17 September 2017 - 08:48 AM.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,502 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 10:09 AM

I don't see anything that would interfere with BT's firewall.

If you don't use Edge I suggest you make either Chrome or Firefox your default browser.

How to change Windows 10's default web browser to Chrome, Firefox, or Opera | PCWorld

Most users don't need Java. So, if that is the case you can uninstall those Java items rather than update them.

I've not seen Arcabit mentioned before. But looking at its description I would suggest you use VirusTotal - Free Online Virus, Malware and URL Scanner

for scanning questionable files or .exe files before using them to install programs.

I suggest uninstalling Bit Defender choosing permanent uninstall and also running the uninstall tool afterwards as suggested by Bit Defender in directions

below. Rebooting and then attempt to download and reinstall it. That is, if you haven't performed the clean uninstall previously using the uninstaller.

In Windows 10:

1. Click Start, then click Settings.

2. Click the System icon in the Settings area, then select Installed apps.

3. Find Bitdefender 2016 and select Uninstall.

4. Click Uninstall again to confirm your choice.

5. Click Remove, and then select according to your situation: I want to reinstall itor I want to permanently remove it.

6. Click Next to continue.

7. Wait for the uninstall process to complete, then reboot your system.

To be sure that everything is properly removed, we also recommend using our dedicated uninstall tool. Download it from this location and then run it on your system:

www.bitdefender.com/uninstall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users