Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 suddenly changed theme to classic with no warning

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 NSAER

NSAER

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:05 PM

Sigh here we go again... I was running a virtual machine in the background (don't think it was infected but could be), the latest version of vmware player, and browsing reddit (did not click any suspicious links, am not stupid) and suddenly my windows theme changes to default. Makes no sense, I didn't do anything to cause it.

No malware alerts as usual. Last time it was my browser which did it, though admittedly I did click suspicious links that time, but then I wiped my harddisk and did a windows reinstall.

Here's my thinking: could be that the system was overloaded because of heavy system resource usage, so this caused windows to automatically change to classic. How do I check this in windows event logs?

I know windows prompts me to change to basic theme to save system resources when I am playing games but this time I was not prompted.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:09 PM

Personally, I like Windows Classics the best; however, you might be right as rain, something, probably not malware, triggered a theme change.  I'll watch this thread, to learn from your experience, as this is new to me.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users