Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help, I'm completely frustrated with atapi 11 errors

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 rainraingirl

rainraingirl

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 11:32 AM

In May of this year I installed an Intel 540s 240gb ssd, freshly installed win7 x64, ran the security, driver, bios etc updates.

About a week in I started getting "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0" atapi 11 errors in the thousands, literally one every second or so.

I rebooted and was greeted by this: http://puu.sh/xBbUh/0609a1ff74.jpg

kernel corrupt somehow... (this was the only time that this occured)

I restored off my usb boot stick and had to reinstall some things, but otherwise it was okay for another couple weeks.

The errors came back, so I powered down and replaced the sata cables.

Another couple weeks go by, errors come back.

I swapped the physical position of the ssd (off ide0) with my old hdd (wd blue 640gb).

My mobo is an MSI p67-c43s and only has 2 sata III slots to work with.

This solved it for 3 months.

Today I'd noticed some slight audio stuttering and checked the log: the errors are back, and I don't know what else to do.

- ide0 is now the HDD, and manifesting the same errors as before.

- All firmware, inc mobo bios, is up to date.

I checked the controller drivers in device manager as well.

- I've run CrystalDiskInfo to check on the SMART condition of my drives: all green

- I've run the Intel Diagnostics toolkit & full scan: all green.

- CHKDSK has no complaints

The only "fix" I can apply is powering down my pc completely (soft reboot doesn't work) and turning it back on, which cures it for an arbitrary amount of time. 3 days to 3 months apparently.

I've been through like 10 pages of google results and none of it's working (or ended up irrelevant).

I even tried taking it into a shop, but because it manifests randomly they couldn't figure it out either after I told them what I'd already checked.

Is the only thing left hardware malfunction / faulty mobo?

my other system parts: i5 2500 cpu, 16gb ddr3 ram (4x4), sb x-fi pci card, corsair tx2 650w psu, and a gtx 970 4gb strix

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 11:51 AM

From some googling it appears the solution was solved by using the latest intel RST drivers but because of the MBs age I am not sure this would work.

About the only thing I can recommend is downloading the Intel Driver Utility and see if it recommends a later controller driver.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html?iid=dc_iduu

#3 rainraingirl

rainraingirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 12:09 PM

From some googling it appears the solution was solved by using the latest intel RST drivers but because of the MBs age I am not sure this would work.

About the only thing I can recommend is downloading the Intel Driver Utility and see if it recommends a later controller driver.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html?iid=dc_iduu

Thank you, but everything is up to date.
I tried this all the same and it said there were no new updates available for my product.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,237 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 01:02 PM

Download Seatools for Windows and do the short test. If that passes do the long test.\

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-win-master/

If the drive is Western Digital use their software.

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=3

If anything other than seagate or WD use Seagate for Windows or Gsmartcontrol

Have you tried a new set of SATA cables?

#5 rainraingirl

rainraingirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 01:33 PM

Download Seatools for Windows and do the short test. If that passes do the long test.\

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-win-master/

If the drive is Western Digital use their software.

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=3

If anything other than seagate or WD use Seagate for Windows or Gsmartcontrol

Have you tried a new set of SATA cables?

The ssd is intel, the hdd is wd, both show no issues.

The sata cables were replaced 3mo prior, I don't have a newer set than those atm.

As per some article I found, I've swapped sata modes from IDE to AHCI in an attempt to fix it. Others reported success via that method, but.. remains to be seen I guess.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 01:35 PM

I was going to suggest AHCI mode.  It should certainly give performance improvements over IDE, whether it solves the problem, I guess you will find out.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,237 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 02:04 PM

AHCI mode should have been the default when Windows was installed. IDE mode is not an optimal settings.

Normally when changing to AHCI from IDE after OS install a registry setting needs to be changed.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/987378-how-to-switch-from-ide-to-ahci-without-repairingreinstalling-windows/

#8 rainraingirl

rainraingirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:47 AM

Looks like it didn't solve it :(

Checked the logs this morning and saw a bunch from 2 days ago. They're not as .. many? as they used to be and went away on their own.

Before, once I got them I had them nonstop until I shut down.

http://puu.sh/xHNLX/a1106f7cec.png

There's a few interspersed in the morning, then a whole slew of them between 16:41 and 16:44, and then it disappears.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,237 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:31 PM

See this 5 page Microsoft thread. It may provide some clues on resolving the problem which seems to be common to Windows.

#10 rainraingirl

rainraingirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:19 PM

Thank you, but I've already been through that thread and much of google like I said in the op.

I've got the Intel RST driver installed as of last week.

- No CD/R to conflict

- uninstalled IDE drivers & replaced with ahci as per last week

- no master/slave jumpers on sata drives

- drives using UDMA5, not PIO

- psu not supplying enough power for 2 drives feels unlikely as I overshot reqs by ~175w, and gtx 970 req 25w less than the 560ti it was built with

- not encountering freezing issues, as other user report, although some light stuttering in games & audio. maybe just a matter of time.

As the issue is specific to controller 0 regardless of which drive is plugged into it, it is probably hardware?

I guess at this point I'm resigning myself to a new build, but if at all possible would have liked to fix these error.

In an unfortunate turn of events and shoddy plastic levers, my gfx card is also permanently affixed to my mobo now.

I was just curious if anyone here knew of cause beyond that I'd mentioned because I have checked all? most? of the common ones. I don't know, really.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,237 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 02:35 PM

Did you uninstall the ATA controller 0 in device manager and reboot?

#12 rainraingirl

rainraingirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 02:39 PM

Yes, rather I uninstalled ATA channel 0 and rebooted (twice). I was under the impression the channels were software (drivers) and the controllers were hardware.

Edited by rainraingirl, 24 September 2017 - 02:41 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,237 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 03:15 PM

Yes, rather I uninstalled ATA channel 0 and rebooted (twice). I was under the impression the channels were software (drivers) and the controllers were hardware.

Yes, your impression is correct. If you have already done this then I am out of ideas, sorry. As long as the performance of the computer is fine I would ignore the error.

#14 rainraingirl

rainraingirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 02:31 AM

welp, something died :(

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/285585927433224193/376001805487833089/unknown.png

disk health still shows green, when the scans actually complete.

others, chkdsk will freeze while attempting to access it or CrystalDisk comes up n/a.

the drive constantly makes a clicking sound while it is inaccessible.

when I try to access D:\ it either spits up that I/O error or grudgingly works, but large files cannot be accessed/transferred, install/program upgs fail, windows spits out a ton of errors as it cannot reliably access files etc.

I don't understand if the controllers are on the mobo or the drive itself though?

repping the drive is easy enough (I have backups) but if it's the mobo, getting another 1155 board isn't cost practical and would probably mean a system rebuild ugh.

Edited by rainraingirl, 04 November 2017 - 02:50 AM.

#15 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,206 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 04 November 2017 - 04:55 AM

I'd suggest trying a known good PSU just to eliminate that possibility.

Controllers are on the mainboard, in the ICH (I/O Control Hub). P67 chipset has a SATA bug that should only affect ports 2 - 5 (SATA II), but of course it's not impossible for a different failure to affect SATA III:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/4143/the-source-of-intels-cougar-point-sata-bug

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users