Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Argh.... Help Please!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mamamoon

mamamoon

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:31 PM

my problem is as follows, (please excuse my lamens terms as i am an absolute idiot on the computer). it appeared that i had a virus on my system, so i googled some stuff that i had found on my 'control panel - add/remove programs' and it turned out to be malwares etc... so i came across this awesome website (bleepingcomputer.com) i bravely decided to follow the step by step tutorial on how to clean off your system that i found here on your awesome site... this is my issue... today as i attempt to open my computer, a message as follows appears...
"windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
you can attempt to repair this file by starting your Windows Setup using the original Set-up CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

what i am curious about is, are all of my files & photos lost somewhere in cyber space, or can i retrieve them some how, and if so how??? i am a new mama with over 1000's of pics of my new baby on here.... i know stupid... please help!!!!

Edited by mamamoon, 18 September 2006 - 03:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:35 PM

Perhaps you can still get into safe mode.

To get into safe mode,
turn on computer,
let computer run passed the BIOS screen
then start tapping F8

If you get in, choose 'last known good configuration' and pray
If you don't get in, still post back as with comps there is always 'plan B'.

Edited by fleamailman, 18 September 2006 - 03:37 PM.

everyday is a gift

#3 mamamoon

mamamoon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:40 PM

thank you so much for your reply, however i tried what you said and no luck... do tell... what is plan b??!!

#4 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:58 PM

I think the simplest thing would just be to repair the os as in the link given, but before we do that, did you get into safe mode or not, normally that is not easy for someone who has never done it, I repeat turn on the computer, it is just after the first screen, and before the black windows screen that one starts tapping the F8 key. If we can get there then, if 'last know good configuration' doesn't work then we can try a sytem restore form normal safe mode. Sorry if this is greek to you. [Even in the worse case, as long as you don't wipe the drive yourself, your photos will be on it, getting the nearest techguy to: open the comp, take out the harddrive, put harddrive in caddie, connect to another computer, retreve the photos is all possible, but don't think about that now]

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Repair-Windows-XP-t138.html

Edited by fleamailman, 18 September 2006 - 04:00 PM.

everyday is a gift

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users