Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some apps(content) not opening(loading)

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 11:18 AM

Greetings,First I am on the windows insider preview (slow ring) and yesterday I received an update(fall creators) 16288(build) 1709 (version) which I am told is not the final update. The problem I am having is  the settings, the store, edge, and even the start button will not load(open) I can't even get the trouble shooter to work to see what the problem is. I ran the sfc scan which said there were corrupt files but they were fixed, still not working. Of all the updates this is the first that is giving me a problem. I have windows 10 pro. Any help is appreciated. :smash:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 11:46 AM

Open Command Prompt as a administrator and type Powershell command and press Enter key.

Execute below command and press Enter key.

Get-AppxPackage AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml}

This tells Windows to install those default apps again. Give it some time and allow it to finish, even if nothing appears to happen at first. Even if you see an error message, restart your computer.

Posted Image

#3 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 12:21 PM

Open Command Prompt as a administrator and type Powershell command and press Enter key.

Get-AppxPackage AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml}

This tells Windows to install those default apps again. Give it some time and allow it to finish, even if nothing appears to happen at first. Even if you see an error message, restart your computer.

Did as suggested  no dice  it says disable development mode  and is greyed out

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 09:03 PM

Boot Windows into Safe Mode and let us know if the issue resolves.

Edited by FreeBooter, 16 September 2017 - 09:03 PM.

Posted Image

#5 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 03:39 AM

Boot Windows into Safe Mode and let us know if the issue resolves.

Booted into safe mode to use cmd and advanced trouble shooting, no change, in fact under advanced troubleshootig it said cannot repair your pc. After this latest update there are no restore points yet(even though I hit system restore before updating).

#6 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 04:26 AM

Did as suggested  no dice  it says disable development mode  and is greyed out

Sorry, should have posted this yesterday result of cmd(powershell)  and yes I ran it as administrator

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.16288.1]
© 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Get-AppxPackage AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml
'Get-AppxPackage' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 04:41 AM

You have to type powershell command into Command Prompt before executing above command.

Posted Image

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 04:44 AM

I am also in the Insider Preview Program for Windows 10, I am in the fast lane. The reason why we are testing beta software for Microsoft is to find and report any problems that we find. I believe that going to Bleeping Computer to find a fix for a problem that you find in an Insiders build is an inappropriate avenue. You need to use the Feedback Hub and the appropriate Insiders forums to report these issues, not try to find a correction for your system that does not help Microsoft to detect and correct the issue for the entire program.

When we signed up to test beta software for Microsoft we knew full well that there could be and would be problems. Our job is not to try to correct the problem but to report the problem. Dona and her team are working very hard right now since the date for public release has already announced and it is quickly approaching. There might be 10 or 15 new builds coming in the next couple of weeks so that we can test every issue for Microsoft, but all we can do as Insiders is prepare, test and report.

Have fun with the program or just return to the retail build. Myself I oscillate between the Insiders program and a retail version when ever the whim hits me. I just did a clean install of version 1709 build 16288.1 from a homemade ISO that I created using the canonical UUP files 

Good luck.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:13 AM

I am also in the Insider Preview Program for Windows 10, I am in the fast lane. The reason why we are testing beta software for Microsoft is to find and report any problems that we find. I believe that going to Bleeping Computer to find a fix for a problem that you find in an Insiders build is an inappropriate avenue. You need to use the Feedback Hub and the appropriate Insiders forums to report these issues, not try to find a correction for your system that does not help Microsoft to detect and correct the issue for the entire program.

When we signed up to test beta software for Microsoft we knew full well that there could be and would be problems. Our job is not to try to correct the problem but to report the problem. Dona and her team are working very hard right now since the date for public release has already announced and it is quickly approaching. There might be 10 or 15 new builds coming in the next couple of weeks so that we can test every issue for Microsoft, but all we can do as Insiders is prepare, test and report.

Have fun with the program or just return to the retail build. Myself I oscillate between the Insiders program and a retail version when ever the whim hits me. I just did a clean install of version 1709 build 16288.1 from a homemade ISO that I created using the canonical UUP files 

Good luck.

With all do respect I CANNOT use the feedback hub because I CANNOT access the app. I use Bleeping Computer because they are one of the best for advice in most situations when others are not or unaccessable. They have never failed me and I will continue to seek their advice. :thumbup2:

#10 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:21 AM

You have to type powershell command into Command Prompt before executing above command.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Powershell cmd

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Get-AppxPackage AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml}
'Get-AppxPackage' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:13 AM

Don't type Powershell cmd just type Powershell command.

Posted Image

#12 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:38 AM

Good luck.

With all do respect I CANNOT use the feedback hub because I CANNOT access the app. I use Bleeping Computer because they are one of the best for advice in most situations when others are not or unaccessable. They have never failed me and I will continue to seek their advice. :thumbup2:

Just do a simple rollback if you are having that many problems.

https://www.howtogeek.com/235474/how-to-roll-back-builds-and-uninstall-updates-on-windows-10/

If you can't rollback, then do a clean install. That's what beta testing is all about.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#13 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:45 AM

Don't type Powershell cmd just type Powershell command.

Doesn't matter how or what is typed it comes back with the same answer it is not recognized. Thnx

#14 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:53 AM

Then you should follow Rocky Bennett suggestion.

Posted Image

#15 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:54 AM

It is odd that the one and only app that you really need as an insider is the feedback hub, and you didn't even mention that in the first post. The feedback hub is the only way you can communicate with our team unless you use the insider forum and/or Dona's twitter address.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users