Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VISTA COMPUTER FROZEN

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jfruch1

jfruch1

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 09:55 AM

Friend's computer will only boot to desktop, but other than the wallpaper, screen is blank - no shortcut icons, nothing. Trying to get this guy to upgrade to new computer but he is stubborn. Likes his Vista, so seeing what I can do for him. Only way he can shut it down is holding power button, but reboot has the same outcome. Any ideas what I can try? Would a system restore or recovery be possible since vista is no longer supported?  No system image available to use.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 11:55 AM

Boot Windows into Safe Mode and let us know if Windows Vista works.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#3 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:19 AM

Friend's computer will only boot to desktop, but other than the wallpaper, screen is blank - no shortcut icons, nothing. Trying to get this guy to upgrade to new computer but he is stubborn. Likes his Vista, so seeing what I can do for him. Only way he can shut it down is holding power button, but reboot has the same outcome. Any ideas what I can try? Would a system restore or recovery be possible since vista is no longer supported?  No system image available to use.

if he likes vista then recommend him to upgrade too windows 7, its pretty much exactly the same, but windows 7 is still supported.....and you can get windows 7 very cheap these days

but to your problem.....

its most likely malware related,

as was suggested, boot in safe mode, does it boot up?

if so, download and run adwcleaner, then malwarebytes anti malware,

Edited by mikey11, 18 September 2017 - 08:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users