Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using two ISPs on one PC

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jambog

jambog

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:53 AM

I have two ISPs, one is DSL and one Satellite. My DSL is hooked to the network card and my Satellite is WiFi. I can have them both connected at the same time, I just do not know which connection is using which data. The Satellite is faster but it has a data cap. The DSL is slow, but is relatively cheap and has unlimited data. I would prefer to use DSL for things such as downloading windows updates and other large files where download speed isn't a priority. This way it won't be using the really expensive and limited data from my satellite connection which will only be used for things that shouldn't require me to throw my keyboard across the room in frustration due to slow internet speeds. 

Is there a way in windows or a third party software that will allow me to split which websites or programs uses which connection? I'm using Windows 10 Pro.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 02:38 PM

Why not use a load balancing router? This will allow you to have both ISP sources connected to the router. You can setup rules within the router for your specific needs. 

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#3 jambog

jambog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 09:48 PM

First I've heard of such a thing, but reading about them, that may work. Is that my only solution though? I'm not trying to combine the ISPs into one per se, which is my understanding of what a balancing router basically does. Besides, I would likely have to get a wifi one because the Satellite router is not near my computer, so being I just spent a ton on Satellite Internet, I'd rather save the $99, it would be worth simply swapping out the connections when I needed to update and whatnot just to save the $99, at least at the meantime. So there is not software type solution where I can tell PC to get data from example.com from NIC, get all other data from Wifi?

Thanks

#4 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 10:07 PM

I have a TP-Link TL-R480T with Comcast and AT&T DSL as my ISP uplinked into my Cisco ASA 5510 Firewall. I have Comcast configured in the router as my primary connection. Unfortunately, Comcast is prone to having Network Outages, so the router is also configured for Auto-Failover. So if my Comcast connection goes down for an outage it automatically switches to my AT&T DSL connection. I do a lot of remote work so I need a reliable connection. For what you are trying yo you should have no problems configuring it.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

#5 jambog

jambog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 10:49 PM

Thanks, I've been reading about TP-Link, I think this might be the solution, so I might bite the bullet and buy one. Appreciate all the input.

#6 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:44 PM

I can hands down vouch for the TP-Link TL-R470T+ and the TL-R480T+ both are excellent you would do well with the 470 heres a link  - http://amzn.to/2wI24RB 

I Love Lamp!

#7 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:54 PM

:thumbup2:  :thumbup2:  :thumbup2:

A. Lattimore

#8 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:21 AM

IranWCmanenlab, let me help you out since you obviously have not read the forums rules ok.

Posting links in order to generate affiliate commissions is not permitted at BleepingComputer.com. Any posts that are deemed to be posted in order to generate affiliate commissions, regardless of the product being promoted, will be deleted. If a user continues to create affiliate SPAM posts, they will be banned.

Also, yes I did report you have a nice day. 

A. Lattimore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users