Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I love XP why should I change when I don't want to?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Charlesstewart

Charlesstewart

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:12 AM

Hello

I do hope there is a simple answer. I have been using XP for years now and I like it. In fact more importantly it does everything that I need a computer to do. I do not do social media, I do not download films or videos, and for me the computer is for emails and web referencing and research. Simple.

Microsoft continues to supply security updates and I have very effective anti virus and malware software and efficient firewalls.

But it seems that commercial interests want us to change just so they can make money selling new OS. What is general opinion of the community of sticking with XP?

Thank you

John

Edited by hamluis, 16 September 2017 - 10:39 AM.
Moved from XP to Gen Chat - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:42 AM

Windows XP is good and can work for you if you like it and are mindful, but, since fewer and fewer people have been using it, it is no longer feasible for many companies to keep supporting it and paying salary to a couple of programmers to go on coding program versions for Windows XP. It's simply not worth the effort for them anymore. There are some people, like ~0.01% of users, who still use Windows 98, for example. Little by little Windows XP is getting discontinued and there's hardly anything you can do about it. Personally, I can tell you that when your browser stops getting support for Windows XP, it would start playing videos choppy and being sluggish, because web-pages would be optimized for newer browsers, running on OS's, such as Windows 7-10, and it would simply be unbearable to browse the Internet with. Windows XP still makes for a fine offline machine, though! If you have an older computer, which can't handle Windows 7 or onwards, you might want to consider switching to Puppy Linux, for example. All in all, Windows XP is practically becoming extinct, with so many people now using Windows 10 and Windows 7, but will forever remain a legendary OS with is homely feel. Good luck!:)

Windows XP out

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:00 AM

Microsoft continues to supply security updates

These are only out-of-band security updates that Microsoft deems necessary because it is critical. Monthly Security Updates are no longer offered because XP has reached end of life. It still possible to get infected via email attachments and phishing attacks. 

I hope you do not use the computer for any online purchases or banking. From your post I assume you do not.

Have you considered putting a linux distro on the computer? This would work fine for email, web, and research. The distro you use depends on your computer and RAM. 

For people moving from XP, linux Mint is a good distro to start. What is the CPU and how much RAM does the computer have.

Mint comes in different flavors, Xfce, Mate, and Cinnamon.

You can boot a live linux DVD or USB that runs from RAM and the install media. Your hard drive is not touched. This would let you try the different versions.

https://www.linuxmint.com/

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 10:39 AM

It's your system, it's your decision.

I don't know that anyone is spending time trying to convince you to do anything, so your topic seems designed to elicit many words that have already been expressed quite well by everyone from Microsoft to AV developers to knowledgeable security personnel.

Google will provide you with much of such.

Louis

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 10:58 AM

Hamluis has hit the nail on the head, really.

You need to do your research about the known risks inherent in using Windows XP and decide for yourself whether they are something you wish to live with.

For myself, I'd rather gnaw off my fingers than continue using WinXP given the risks involved, but that's my call.  (And, of course, I don't use it anymore.  I have one old laptop that runs XP but which is never connected to cyberspace and hasn't been in years).

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:06 PM

This has reached the point where I have found a cure to get the most from having XP and all those files associated.  XP files are easily copied off unto DVD and moved to WIN7 units built to run WIN7.  WIN7 is much easier to use and the appropriate drivers are easily found.  I've had many clients waiting for something that was painless and this comes pretty close.  All those clients also had outdated hardware with just 60 to 80 GB hard drives so this left them smiling at the painless move but it had to be hardware with the software preloaded for the upgrade be the easiest.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:34 PM

Within my computers' Windows 7 Professional, is the virtual machine Windows XP Mode -- such lets us play a few of the games that have entertained us since the Fred Flintstone days of Windows 3.1 - WFW 3.11, Windows 95/98/98SE.  Charles, like others have indicated, make sure that your routine of making data backups produces restorable backups on detachable external media, make sure your security programs are strong and updated; and, as long as you remember that you are first and foremost the most important component of your computer security -- keep on keepin' on.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 Charlesstewart

Charlesstewart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:35 AM

Hello

Just to say thanks to everyone for the various opinions and ideas you have all posted. Checked these through with my IT advisor here in teh UK and he seems to think that virtual machine (thanks for this idea RolandJS) ruing in W10 is best option either housing XP or better still W7. Quad erat demonstrandum!

Thanks again

Charles

#9 michael17

michael17

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:33 AM

Windows XP is good and can work for you if you like it and are mindful, but, since fewer and fewer people have been using it, it is no longer feasible for many companies to keep supporting it and paying salary to a couple of programmers to go on coding program versions for Windows XP. It's simply not worth the effort for them anymore. There are some people, like ~0.01% of users, who still use Windows 98, for example. Little by little Windows XP is getting discontinued and there's hardly anything you can do about it. Personally, I can tell you that when your browser stops getting support for Windows XP, it would start playing videos choppy and being sluggish, because web-pages would be optimized for newer browsers, running on OS's, such as Windows 7-10, and it would simply be unbearable to browse the Internet with. Windows XP still makes for a fine offline machine, though! If you have an older computer, which can't handle Windows 7 or onwards, you might want to consider switching to Puppy Linux, for example. All in all, Windows XP is practically becoming extinct, with so many people now using Windows 10 and Windows 7, but will forever remain a legendary OS with is homely feel. Good luck! :)

Windows XP out

I can't agree with you more. An operating system is like an ecosystem. In terms of security and support, XP operating system is indeed outdated, although it can be qualified to the Topic Starter's current work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users