Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

black screen before login, windows 10

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 audreydwg

audreydwg

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 06:55 AM

Hi everyone
my custom built pc stopped working yesterday. When I turn it on, windows loads normally and just before loging into my account, the screen turns black. Sometimes I can hear windows still working in the background (music) but I can't see anything.

Once or twice I managed to log in but the colors were wrong or there were weird dots on the screen and eventually the screen goes back to black. Once it turned all blue, that was a nice change after a whole day of banging my head against the walls

Most of the time I can start in safe mode (I get to the windows recovery mode with no problem), once I even managed to start in bootlog, saw that a good many drivers do not load (but I don't know what it means), I started running a scan for viruses and update windows but the screen went black again before I could find any cause for my problem.

From what I have managed to gather, windows is updated, my graphic card drivers too. I think the bios was updated to the last version too.

I have tried to uninstall the graphic card and the monitor (warning sign on it in device manager, even though I have tried 2 different screens and the problem is the same so I don't think they are the issue): it didnt solve anything.
I also tried startup repair and system restore to 2 previous points: no luck

I just don't know what to try anymore.
Any help or advice would be very welcome. Thanks

Here are my specs:
windows 10, 64bit
motherboard asus P7P55LX
processor Intel core i7 CPU 860
RAM 8gb
Graphic card AMD radeon hd 6870

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:17 PM

I don't see anything about changing graphics cards or sources [if the motherboard has a graphics port]

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:30 PM

A known problem that appears on some computers after the cummulative update. Sometimes it may not appear, but usually appears.
Until now, the only solution is a clean installation. Microsoft made one fix, which only reached a narrow circle for testing. Obviously this did not resolve problem, otherwise it would have come to anyone who has this problem. 
It was released for testing more then two months ago.

#4 audreydwg

audreydwg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:51 PM

Thanks for your answers

Sorry dicke, I don't understanding what you're saying

Zainmax, if I do troubleshoot -》 reset this pc -》 keep my files, would that work? (I don't want to lose my files)

#5 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:57 PM

Probably working, but there have been occasions where it does not work.
If it does not work, you need to make copies of your files.

#6 audreydwg

audreydwg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:00 PM

Also, if I do reset the pc, will it come back with windows 10? I had windows 7 originally (I think) and changed when microsoft was giving the upgrade to windows 10 for free so I dont have any activation code...

#7 audreydwg

audreydwg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:02 PM

Is there a way to make copies of my files without being able to turn on the pc?

#8 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:06 PM

Why not if you have some place where to send or copy them. Usually I copy to another partition or drive.

Added some minutes later...

If You have registered Your pc on Microsoft account, You don't need any key.
If You log in to with Microsoft account, is Windows activated during minute.
NB! If installing do not insert any serial key, always select I don't have or skip or later etc. Only remeber, if asked to register for own use or for company, You must select for own use, it means You are owner and administrator.

Edited by zainmax, 18 September 2017 - 02:14 PM.

#9 audreydwg

audreydwg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:08 PM

I'm not good at all that, I don't have a clue how to do it :/ can I do it during the resetting process?

#10 audreydwg

audreydwg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:11 PM

Ok I'm reseting... fingers crossed

#11 audreydwg

audreydwg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:43 AM

So, I reset the computer successfully last night. Well almost... Windows update dowloaded all the updates but when it got to the cumulative update of september 2017, the screen went black again. Does this mean that update is definitely the problem? I'm resetting again right now. How can I stop windows from downloading that last update?

#12 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 05:50 AM

The first thing, what You can do, is to pause updates for some times, currently is possible to disable updates till 24/10/2017.
For this firstly try to go back to this point where the September Updates were not installed, then open settings panel => Update & security => Windows Update and find  there Advanced options => open it and find now Pause Updates, make Your selection and You can pause for 35 days. Then turn on Pause Updates.
As much I know, abot on 17 of October should be  released next version.
Unofficially it is already available. Was released couple days ago without watermarks.

Edited by zainmax, 19 September 2017 - 05:52 AM.

#13 audreydwg

audreydwg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:39 AM

Well I haven't been able to do a successful reset all day. I'm stuck with that black screen again 😐 time to give up?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users