Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pc powers off after a few seconds

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 superqaz

superqaz

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 04:21 AM

it started that 5 seconds after turning pc on it would power off , then after removing cpu fan and pushing cpu in case it needed re seating the machine stays on sometimes until windows just starts, improving each time it booted, then stops. and finally after removing mouse and one empty usb cable from front panel it stays on as it should.

removing cables my be coincidence

as it stands i dont dare turn it off

any ideas anyone

thanks

win 7 64 bit

old dell inspiron 531

Edited by superqaz, 16 September 2017 - 04:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 04:55 AM

One possibility would be bad electrolytic capacitors, in the mainboard, power supply or both.

https://www.badcaps.net/index.php?pageid=identity

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 05:32 AM

a very interesting read, thanks. ive got about 35 of them in 3 sizes thats a lot of checking from all angles . i assume it better to put in a known good PS first. yes?

are there any other possibilities?

thanks

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:38 AM

Yes, testing with a known good PSU would be an excellent first step. Diagnosis is pretty much a process of elimination, so eliminating the possibility of a PSU fault is a good first approach.

The usual next step if the substitute PSU makes no difference would be to disconnect peripheral components to see if the system will start up each time and complain about the absence of an operating system. By disconnecting the drives and if it has a video card, removing that and connecting to the mainboard video, that will determine if it can boot up reliably, and adding a keyboard should then let you access the BIOS. If it happily does this every time, you could refit in turn video card, each drive until it played up.

If it still has problems just booting up the mainboard and RAM, we know the problem lies there somewhere. Bad caps would be a candidate then, even if none looked bad. The symptoms are not very indicative of a RAM fault, but the memory could also be removed to see if it starts up and shows an error for the missing RAM, usually beeping. If it still kept shutting off without RAM fitted, it would be looking like probably a mainboard fault.

http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-531_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf

http://www.dell.com/support/home/ed/en/edbsdt1/product-support/product/inspiron-531/research

Edited by Platypus, 16 September 2017 - 07:43 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:43 AM

thats brill, thanks again. will get psu down from the loft for the morning

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,432 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 04:29 PM

after removing cpu fan and pushing cpu in case it needed re seating

Does this mean you unscrewed the fan and then pushed on the heatsink and CPU assembly, or does it mean you removed the fan and heatsink assembly and then pushed on the CPU ?

If you mean the latter did you clean the two surfaces and replace the heatsink compound ?  If you didn't you are asking for thermal shutdown which can take place very quickly.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 05:11 PM

i  did the latter and didnt replace the compound , thanks for reminding me, it was i the back of my head to do that. as its a low power machine and presumably not generating much heat could i get away with only cleaning the 2 surfaces

Edited by superqaz, 16 September 2017 - 05:15 PM.

#8 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:06 AM

anyone know the answer to the above question  re thermal paste, wondering if i can get away with it, no problems now [3 days have pasted] as i wait for some more advice here

thanks

#9 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:07 AM

"To answer the above question" when heat sink has been removed from the processor it is always wise to clean the base of the heat sink and the metal heat spreader of the processor using alcohol.

Then apply a small amount of thermal paste on to the center of the heat spreader of the processor.

Reinstall the processor heat sink using care to get it evenly tightened or secured in place.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#10 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:27 AM

thanks but i realize that, my question still stands

thanks

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:34 AM

I've never seen anyone suggest using a CPU/heatsink...minus thermal compound.

Google Answers

Louis

#12 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:44 AM

ok i'll get some paste

thanks