Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Add/remove Programs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 budsbava

budsbava

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 18 September 2006 - 02:12 PM

Hey Yall..

I recently installed norton internet security beta version and juss used it for couple of weeks n tried to uninstall it.

The problem is that when ever I go in to Add/Remove programs n clk on remove the mouse icon shows me as its processing for 5 secs n then stays normally....but couldnt remove the applciation.
so wat I dd is i deleted manually all the files regarding to it. But still in my Add/Remove programs it shows me the application n doesnt move. I tried removing the other applications which wrks for all but except this one..

Any suggestions.....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 02:24 PM

Removing it manually was a real bad idea, because now you cannot uninstall it through Add/Remove programs. there isa program called Comple Delete which used to be available for free at both download.com and zdnet.com. See if you can locate this program. Install it, and then drag and drop anything remaining form Norton onto the desktop icon for Complete Delete.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 18 September 2006 - 02:43 PM

Ccleaner has a tool designed to remove the listing for Norton in Add/Remove. If you don't already have it, it is a good program to have around for quick cleanup of temp files, logs, etc. http://www.ccleaner.com/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 02:58 PM

How did you install the Norton beta in the first place?

Was it a download or do you have a CD?

If it was installed 3 weeks or less use Windows System Restore

Pick a date from before you installed the Norton Beta

Access Windows System Restore by clicking:

Start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore

#5 budsbava

budsbava
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:41 PM

Thx a lot buddy, will try it.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:53 PM

You're Welcome. Below is some instructions I thought you might like to have for using the cleaning feature.
Click on Options,
Select Advanced
Now UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours"
Make sure the Cleaner block on the left is selected.
Do not use the "Issues" block . It's meant for professionals.
Choose the Windows tab.
Check everything EXCEPT Advanced part of the Menu.
If you don't want to loose your login passwords to certain sites, click on Options
Select cookies and move the ones you want to keep to the "cookies to keep" section, by highlighting and using the arrows in the middle.
Choose Run Cleaner.
When CCleaner shows how much has been removed, cleaning is finished. Click Exit.
If you have more than one users, run Ccleaner for every user
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users