Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop battery Full performance

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Threesom666

Threesom666

• Banned
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:15 AM

I dont know much about the laptop of a battery but have read repeatedly on its power options that it should be used in balance and adjust its low power settings so I can maximize its battery life. Now mostly I just use the battery just in case the power goes off which isnt many times. But I dont use it without its power cable much. Now, I have most of its settings in full performances which how I like it but have come to wonder if I am abusing the computer. I wouldnt mind disconnecting the battery either but then I wont have a base at the bottom and dont know if that also makes the battery lose its life.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 05:54 PM

The advice I got from one battery supplier was, to maximise batttery life, charge to about 90-95% of capacity then use on battery down to 10-15% capacity then recharge. there are different theories but I have no reason to doubt that advice.

But remember, all batteries lose capacity throughout their life to the extent that eventually they will hold virtually no charge at all. I recently ran into an older laptop which had been charged up in the owner's house. She then walked about 200 yards to a different location, switched on the laptop and their wasn't enough charge in the battery to start the computer up. an extreme case.

It is generally considered that keeping a laptop almost permanently on charge will not give maximise battery life, but if you are primarily concerned about occasional power outages I wouldn't worry too much.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:04 AM

Batteries work by Cycles (charge/discharges), more cycles = more wears.

Now modern Lithium-ion batteries in laptops stop the charging when full. So letting the laptop plugged isn't an issue anymore. however never let it discharges below 20%.

What reduces a battery life is the temperature, higher made it wears faster; it is why don't let the laptop or smartphone in a hot environment.

Emsisoft Community Manager

#4 Threesom666

Threesom666
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 02:31 PM

Chris Cosgrove

Ive read such methods but I find such methods exhausting to have to charge it and recharge it and pointless to having a technology for ease and enjoyment of oneself.

I would think such low discharge of 200 yards is a dead battery. Im surprised was able to recharge at it. Such a battery should be used strictly to for users that dont need a battery and have the pc from creating annoyances from having a battery at all.

I will use some examples.

I got a pc used that was in exchange but it was in so-so condition. I did get with a battery that would last ten mins about. Though that was helpful it didnt give me problems at about 4 months when it completely dyed. The for whatever reason it made the computer think it still worked. It just didnt charge. Since this was the first time this happening to me I didnt think it was the battery but something wrong with the pc. So I tried several workarounds. The last thing I tried was the one I regretted the most. Though the pc would turn on without no problems. Once I released the battery the pc thought that I didnt have any more battery left and my watch type battery in the pc is dead and I have a compaq so the pc would start giving a stupid warning that I couldnt stand. I had to be there waiting for the pc to turn on to press any key to move on from the watch dead battery warning that was no way of removing or having a slow start if I didnt press anything. Now the pc was reading a battery it though it was dead and it wasnt giving me that problem. Once I removed it, I was bleeped.

Another strange issue I have maybe you can help me on this one Ive thought on opening a seperate thread on this one. I just got an HP and though the battery works and holds for about an hour. There is two major issues I got with it. After reading its model online its supposed to last about 3 hours but it only lasts about one( with barely use). Something I dont like. Since its a modern pc and it has an updated OS it should last longer but it doesnt. Then and this one I really hate. I take off the pc from charger its starts eating up the battery which I dont think its normal. If I dont charge it for about 3 days it kills the battery completely and makes the computer loses some of its configuration. I dont think any of that is normal. I explained it to the seller/ tech and he said all of that is normal to which I dont buy in the least.

When I had a pc from 05 brand new the battery didnt give me such issues and it accurately lasted about 2 years after I bought it and thats an 05 piece of junk.

Umbra

So it has nothing to do with longitivity nor having it charged on the pc with little use?

The stupid pcs have always said to maximize battery life you should use such methods of using it often and using the pc at minimum capacities.

Both of my batteries are Lithium-ion. If what you say is true about the %20 I will follow it a tee. I like the temperture explaination. It makes sense. I will try to use the pc less at the high temperatures and where I live there are high temperatures. My old pc which toshiba stupidely sold with serious defects fully knowing they were selling it with defects had two fans which I liked now most pcs have one but for whatever reason some times it made a lot of noises. This new used pc compaq I got I really like. It doesnt give me any issues. When I first got it I didnt like that it only had one fan even worst sometimes it would turn off and you never ever hear the fans. Having the previous pc with strange issues I got used to such bad quality and having such good quality I thought it was bad. I realized and read the instructions that it didnt need much fan and plenty of it times it would shut it off when it didnt need it always being silent. only at strange times I hear it make it effort but its only for a few. secs. Many times I hear the hard drive make noise with harsh rapid spins when I turn on the pc but only when I turn on the pc but Ive been told thats normal. Anyway I say this fan story because because of it I am never concern of the pc or its heat but reading enough about technology I know your theory of it is true. Ive had this cooling pad fan which is good many of those types dont bring fans mine brings two which I got super cheap on ebay. One of the best buys Ive ever had. Anyway, Because of the way the laptop behaves I never really turn on the cooling pad thinking it doesnt need it but that thinking is flawed because the high tempertures do affect the pc even though unseemingly. One friend of mind told me I should always turn it on because one of the worst conditions I have where I live besides very hot humid heat, is dust. And supposebly going by him the cooling pad cleans it which I didnt know. It blows the air down cleaning it from the dust. I orginally thought it blew up freshing the pc but according to him it blows it down releasing its hot air and cleaning it. Because of both advises I will have it on a lot more of than compared to previous which was barely on if ever.

#5 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 03:08 PM

Another strange issue I have maybe you can help me on this one Ive thought on opening a seperate thread on this one. I just got an HP and though the battery works and holds for about an hour. There is two major issues I got with it. After reading its model online its supposed to last about 3 hours but it only lasts about one( with barely use). Something I dont like. Since its a modern pc and it has an updated OS it should last longer but it doesnt. Then and this one I really hate. I take off the pc from charger its starts eating up the battery which I dont think its normal. If I dont charge it for about 3 days it kills the battery completely and makes the computer loses some of its configuration. I dont think any of that is normal. I explained it to the seller/ tech and he said all of that is normal to which I dont buy in the least.

Be aware that the "battery duration" announced by the various manufacturers are when you use minimum display brightness and when the machine is idle...so from 3 hours announced, 1 hour is more the realistic duration especially if you have a wide screen 17-18inches (more energy needed) or a powerful CPU/GPU.

About the 20% limit, i learned it the hard way, i ,one day, forgot to turn off my very old laptop, and it reaches 5%, then shut down by "security" , problem it never turned on anymore :P

Edited by Umbra, 17 September 2017 - 03:10 PM.

#6 Threesom666

Threesom666
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 03:39 PM

I actually read that from users and others. I think Idle I use it for about 1hr 30 mins not completely sure. I tend to have the pc always at maximum performances options. Its about 14.4in. It is quad-core, 4 ram.

If it didnt turn on wouldnt that be the pc not the battery?

#7 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 03:58 PM

If it didnt turn on wouldnt that be the pc not the battery?

Nope, changed the battery, laptop started normally.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users