Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Memory Adapter

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Threesom666

Threesom666

• Banned
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:13 AM

I have a memory which I use for cameras. Think they are called Micro memories. I plug it to my pc with an adapter that lights up. I used to plug it and if it didnt start right away I'd plug and unplug it several times till it got it. But recently Ive noticed by accident that if I just leave it there after several mins sometimes it picks up. Not from the start. I think its strange and dont know if its normal. I dont know if its a power problem on the usb or its normal for it to take its time.

Also Ive read and it has happened to me but am just confirming. Is it true that that if I use safety removal with the adapter it damages and it wont start again? I have tried that without knowing and the adapter never worked again. Ive read the only way is to just unplug it but both things is so strange to me. Back in the day when I didnt know much I just used to unplug(regular USB) it and I dont remember it giving a problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,691 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 04:06 AM

Have you tried using the card adapter on different computers to see if it is always slow to register? If it does the same on other systems, it may have a fault or just be not very good quality.

You should use the Safe Removal when disconnecting USB storage, but if you unplug one that is only being read, not written to, without doing Safe Remove, you'll likely get away with it. But what is called an "unexpected removal" can cause loss or corruption of contents with media cards, flash drives and external HDDs.

Either way should not upset the card reader itself.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users