Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Used Ram a Problem?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Threesom666

Threesom666

• Banned
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:08 AM

I am getting used rams for a laptop. The owner says that the ram doesnt wear out. With such informative responses Ive gotten here I'd figure I'd ask before trusting an untrusty person. If its uses has no importance and also is there a way to know if it will give me problems in the moment. Because Ive noticed with uses certain rams give issues and the blue screen of death.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,427 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:55 AM

Overall, RAM is very reliable. I've purchased used memory without experiencing any problems, although I prefer to source new if possible. I look for DIMMs with well known reputable manufacturer names like Micron, Kingston, Samsung, Hynix, or ones that carry brand labelling like Toshiba, HP, Compaq, Dell.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 09:47 AM

RAM either works, or it doesn't.  (And doesn't includes truly 100% dead and unpredictable behavior with flaky results).

I, too, have not had any difficulty with used RAM on the few occasions I've needed to purchase same, typically when upgrading RAM in an older machine.

Personally, I've never had any RAM fail, and RAM failure seems to be a relatively rare event even though it can happen.

Edited by britechguy, 16 September 2017 - 09:48 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#4 Threesom666

Threesom666
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 02:44 PM

Ive had several rams where I use a pc especially at high capacities and it given the blue screen of death when I return the lower ram it had previously I dont get such issues. Thats why I ask.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:43 PM

Well, if you put memory modules that are of a size greater than the hardware can handle things like "just won't start" and/or "BSOD" will happen.  Also sometimes if you mix modules (but not always) or choose modules that are either not backward or forward compatible with the specified memory for the hardware in question.

That's why I always suggest that anyone considering a memory upgrade run the Crucial System Scanner (or any similar tool) that will tell you what the maximum memory supported is, how many slots you have, and what, if anything, is currently in those slots.

Edited by britechguy, 16 September 2017 - 03:44 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#6 Threesom666

Threesom666
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 12:52 AM

I thank you for your suggestions since my local experts I have no faith in. The more I'm at BC the more I learn and the more I learn that the so called experts in my local dont know their feet from their ass.

I have used several pcs where I tend to exploit to its maximum capacity and when I do the ram gives up and gives me the BSOD where I have to restart the pc.

I can give the specific pc if you'd like.

But the pc I have has 2 slots of 2 rams which is a total of 4 ram. Which I've noticed is old news here. They are trying to put 2 rams of 4 making it a total of 8. But those bozos dont know what they're doing so it makes me wonder if my ram will kick out. Because when I used those other pcs that gaved in I had to maximize it for it kick otherwise they would appear normal. The same bozo's Im working with even know that so they are selective on rams they put in but since they are used and these characters are shady I dont trust them. They tried a 4 ram one but the pc wouldnt even turn on so they knew it didnt work. Thats an easy way to figure it wont work. The reason they gave the pc wouldnt pick up was because my pc needs a high frequency ram. I know that pc has probably been up to 16 ram on ebay probably can go up to more. Its a pretty good pc that Im starting to know. I'll probably be asking a ton of question on it the future. lol. it has strange uncommon security features I dont know how to use yet. lol.

I remember having a pc where the max the instructions said I could use was 1gb ram. It had 512. Since that is out dated some sellers try to put in 2gb ram saying the motherboard could take it. I thought it would burn it. It never happened but several times it was close to happening. Being nieve I was going to let them. Another one they wanted to try was add mbs to the video display. i think mine was 128mb but they were going to add I think 512mb to give the pc more ram. I wanted to try that one but it never happened. One last option was to remove the soldered internal memory on the motherboard I think it was 512. They were going to try 1gb but they didnt. I think they feared ruining the motherboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users