Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Print From Networked Printer In Xp Sp2

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 barebear

barebear

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:53 AM

I am running 2 computers with XP Pro SP2 fully updated, ample ram, no viruses, spyware, or other such problems.

They are cable connected through a Linksys router, both get on the internet with no problem and I also can trensfer files back and forth from either computer with no problem ( setup of network was by Network Setup Wizard in Control Panel and configured to allow complete file and printer sharing ).

One computer has a USB 1.1 printer which is functioning perfectly in all respects. I can't print to it from the other computer, although I have repeatedly installed ( setup by Add A Printer in the Printers and Faxes window ) , uninstalled and then used printer properties/drivers to remove all the drivers before attempting a reinstall.

When installed to the other computer, the printer shows up in My Network Places as being installed and also shows up in the Printers/Faxes window in Control Panel. I have no other system issues of any sort.

Please advise the steps to take to correct this situation.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:02 PM

Both computers must have the software installed for the printer, the printer must be set for sharing, (click start/settings/printers and faxes/sharing) and both computers must be on for you to be able to print to the printer which is connected to the other computer.

The way to eliminate the computer connected to the printer from having to be on is to get a print server, which will enable any computer on the network to print to it individually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users