Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 maxinax

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 12:30 AM

norton or mcafee - which one would you pros at bleeping choose

Edited by hamluis, 16 September 2017 - 08:46 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,630 posts
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 12:39 AM

Welcome to BC.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

#3 The-Toolman

• Members
  • 928 posts
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 04:41 AM

Hey maxinax,

I just installed Windows 7 for a family member and I installed Avira Antivirus free version.

I've also installed Malwarebytes Premium trial version which will stop giving real time protection after 14 days and then reverts into the Malwarebytes on demand scanner only without the real time protection.

These two seem to work well together without any conflicts.

The best Antivirus is "Common Sense" and "Safe Web Habits". :thumbup2: 

Norton or Mcafee Antivirus have been around for a long time although I'm not a fan of either I know a lot of users who swear by both of them.

I would check out the free antivirus software as most of them offer good basic protection.

Toolman :)

Antix 17 Heather Heyer (64bit) / hp pavilion m7267c (04/20/2006) / Intel Pentium D Processor 820 Smithfield (2.80 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 2M Cache, LGA 775 Socket) / ASUSTek Motherboard P5LP-LE (Lithium-UL8E) / DDR2 Memory 4.0 GB, 677 MHz FSB / Graphics Card [AMD/ATI] RV370 [Radeon X600/X600 SE] PCIE.

Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus (64bit) / Dell Optiplex 380 (08/27/2010) / Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E7500 Wolfdale (2.90 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB, 3M Cache, LGA 775 Socket) / DDR3 Memory 3.0 GB, 1066 MHz FSB / Graphics Card Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS [Nvidia GT 218] PCIE.

#4 quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,710 posts
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 09:13 AM

Although Norton (Symantec) and McAfee are as good as any other well known anti-virus program, they require numerous services and running processes that consume a lot of system resources and often results in complaints of high CPU usage. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers and resource heavy processes that load at boot-up. Those issues plus the cost factor are the primary reason many folks look for an alternative anti-virus. IMO, Norton and McAfee are better utilized in an Enterprise system environment protecting many client computers.

I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware if choosing a paid for program as they are effective but leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources which slow down performance. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason. If you don't want or can't afford to pay, then I would recommend Kaspersky Free Antivirus, Sophos Home Free Antivirus, Panda Cloud Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials, the free solution for Windows 7 and Vista SP1/SP2 that combines the features of an anti-virus and anti-malware scanner to provide real-time protection.

For other suggestions, please refer to Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 01:49 PM

Also an important point for you to consider is which one is the easiest for you to use.

Better a fully mastered good product than fighting to use and understand the "best rated" one. Try them, most offers a trial version, then make your choice.

Edited by Umbra, 16 September 2017 - 01:57 PM.

Emsisoft Community Manager

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users