Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Aol Chats

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Threesom666

Threesom666

• Banned
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:07 PM

Whatever happened to those awesome chats from back in the 90's. Aol was a lot fun though with a few bots. Yahoo wasnt far behind but had a lot of bots. All that fun stuff caved in. Now replaced with a lot useless boring one night stand garbage. Those chats were a cool place to me a lot of fun interesting people many times locals if not across the state or even world but a lot of interesting people ranging from all kinds of conversations. A lot of them got married or had wonderfully great relationships. Now all gone. I remember angelfire was also a cool blog type creation site. Also nonexistant.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:44 PM

I know what you mean. We have all been brainwashed with political correctness. Several times recently I have not posted something because it might offend somebody.

#3 Threesom666

Threesom666
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:07 PM

Yea many sites seem if not by that by the site itself to have a gag on people. For instance there are several sites that I go to that highly active but the people dont talk to each other at least not a lot let alone in a personal. One of the big reasons is the fear of banned by mods because of arguments, fights, differences etc... So most people just go and go about their business. Oddly youtube is under moderized. You can pretty much say anything there and nothing happens. At most Ive seen is a deleted message and thats after a couple of days. Though its also a site on the decline. When it first started it was very great. With the awesome vids being uploaded. People having tons of channels, blogs, friends and comments. Now its dumbed down to googles version of being a simpleton. Which is strange because part of its hype was its community like yahoo. Now gone too. When it comes to censoring I have learned through studies not give in not to put your head down but to walk with your head to the highest cloud and show them your balls.  I have long given up on the internet and dont give a bleep if Im banned anymore. I just grow back up with another account or leave the site for a much better one. Eventually I do find a better site of the same type or find another great site worthy of my time.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,987 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:07 PM

I know what you mean. We have all been brainwashed with political correctness. Several times recently I have not posted something because it might offend somebody.

This is what's commonly known as showing discretion and having manners.

No one ever said it better than Oscar Wilde:      A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.

(And does so intentionally only sparingly, and when deserved).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 04:52 AM

This is what's commonly known as showing discretion and having manners.

It is also known as censorship!

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,987 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 10:04 AM

I suggest you look up the definition of censorship.

Not expressing every thought that crosses one's own mind is not censorship in any meaningful sense of the term.

In a nutshell:

Suppression of expression by the government is censorship.
Suppression of expression by a publisher or broadcaster over what it disseminates is editorial oversight.
Suppression of expression of the wrong thing at the wrong time by oneself is restraint and good manners.
Suppression of expression of children by their parents is necessary socialization and good parenting.

Edited by britechguy, 16 September 2017 - 10:07 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 Threesom666

Threesom666
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 02:16 PM

You have agree though. WE live in a society that is overly cencored like the word police, political correction, and my favorite feminism. Which leads me to believe whatever happened to freedom of speech or our freedom of rights? Back in the day we had slaves whether we hurt anyones feelings or not. In the same coin police, judges, and politicians get away with anything because they are in position of power. So leadership behavior dictates that if we have power we can do what we want but if we have nothing we have the right to shut up. Just because we might offend somebody doesnt mean we shouldnt express it. Society should have tolerence levels. If you look around a lot of people have kept with their mouth shut for their own good because they know by hand the far too expensive of expressing oneself. I, the lunatic for one, dont care so I dont pay the fee, but not anyone is a loose chain with ton of balls.

#8 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 02:39 PM

Dude, you are free to say anything to anyone in the World, but if you insult them, they'd probably choose not to hang out with you or they could expel you from the event you are in if it is held at their place. In a way, this is why Donald Trump is fun to watch - because he is the literal embodiment of 'screw you money' and constantly speaks his mind unfiltered, yet when he gets expelled because of doing so, it doesn't hurt him so much as he is rich enough to just pack up and leave without any serious repercussions to him, apart from his image.:lmao:

Generally, in all communication throughout history till today, it's pretty annoying when people are way too sensitive and demanding of an apology for the slightest opinions and also on the other end of the spectrum - people who take your patience, politeness and friendliness as a green light to get on your head and constantly throw insults left and right, usually behind the pretext that they are either speaking the truth, or joking.

I've never been in a smart company that has these kinds of problems. Conversations are usually in the middle and there are not any people who are as fragile as little butterflies and as coarse as a drunken lunatic.:)

#9 Threesom666

Threesom666
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 02:55 PM

Yea well thats pretty much what I mean.

I obviously dont mean to personally insult people. But many times especially publically if you say a certain thing even if its true you can get in trouble. Like police are corrupt, black people are killers, chinese like math, dikes cant breed, whites have it easy or have the power, I can go and it and on and Im not saying to say these to the face of the opposite but just talking about it or saying it is a major problem and your bound to get serious reprecussions. Which I dont agree with.

I forgot about trump, for a sec. He's is the perfect example. The guy has done and said bleep that nobody has ever said ever! Yet he got elected still, afterwards and is now the leader of the free world. Why? Because he has money and power. If I said the bleep he has said in the local corner I'd be for sure hanged, arrested, beaten, and most likely end up dead.

#10 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:12 PM

Well, if you believe you've been unjustifiably censored, there is no point usually to go on visiting that same place, if it's not that important to you such as a job if you have 3 kids or a situation like that. In the grander scheme of things, I think, this is one of the top contributors to making America grow so fast - that in times when people couldn't really speak their minds all that freely, especially in monarchies like the UK, the USA offered a place where everyone can do and say as they please, so long as they don't hurt each other. It's a great thing. :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 16 September 2017 - 04:03 PM.

#11 Threesom666

Threesom666
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:37 PM

I concur, a great thing!

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,987 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 04:13 PM

. . . the USA offered a place where everyone can do and say as they please, so long as they don't hurt each other. It's a great thing. :)

You are correct as a matter of law and generally where "hurt each other" is used in a directly measurable sense.

The point is that language can be (and has been) used to "keep those people in their place" for many groups that are "those people" and that are being "kept in their place".  Those doing the keeping generally benefit while those kept generally don't, and most often suffer for it.  That results in a serious kind of hurt, both economic and social, that's generally not illegal, but should nonetheless be condemned in the strongest possible terms.

Hurling racial epithets is legal.  Decent society should not tolerate it.  It's but one example of where unfettered expression is anything but a great thing.  There are many more.  Most of the people who whine about "political correctness" (and almost all of these are far-right conservatives) cannot give a measured, rational, and persuasive argument for their contentions.  This was put quite well (and an excellent example as expressed by Donald Trump was offered) by a comment the on Washington Post:

It's no longer considered polite to put down women, gays, Hispanics or blacks for being who they are. To most of us, this is called manners, and it's what we were taught as children. To conservatives, this is called "political correctness". 

What do you do when the core foundations of your beliefs can't be spoken openly? You can speak in code and dogwhistles, and there's plenty of that in conservative circles. You can say one thing to your conservative friends and another to everyone else, and there's even more of that going on.  

But what you really want is to seize back the public space. So you don't have to dissemble any more. Because while conservatives accuse liberals of political correctness, it's not really the liberals who have to hide their deepest beliefs from the world - they're just saying what's on their mind, and it's already "PC". It's the conservatives who must bite their tongues. 

Trump had them at "Mexicans are rapists", he's done nothing since to increase his appeal. He doesn't need to. He promises conservatives a world in which they can talk like their grandfathers did, and those whom it offends can just suck it up.

~ Commenter Bud0, 7/29/2015, in comments for Washington Post article, Mark Cuban summarized Donald Trump’s appeal in just 43 words

#13 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 04:45 PM

I get what you're saying, Brian. I just haven't found a successful approach and actually think that there isn't one when it comes to shutting down insulters. Literally, the only thing that can be done is putting such people down the way they do to other people, which isn't what I want to consume my time with, so I've taken the 'bye!' approach. I just let everyone say what they want when it doesn't have physical contact and generally advise people who are being scolded by bad guys to move on or to stand up against them if it's one of those permanent bullying scenarios. With that being said, I have honestly never seen anyone really change their ways upon being told that he is unjustifiably cruel to someone and go through a catharsis . At most I've seen the 'Fine! Do what you want! I don't care!' as a response. It's one of those paradoxes where the people who are capable of seeing their mistakes usually don't engage in such a behavior in the first place, so you won't be seeing them participating in such a low-level conflict. The prime example of that is the high returning rate to prison (not exactly sure if this is the correct term, even though I remember there was a proper one in English), which is relatively constant in all countries in the world and also all the schools in the world if you want to look at kids who are non-stop being sent off class. It's exactly this why I don't see those marches in the USA and other such countries working all that much. The people who would get the message have usually already gotten it a long time ago and the ones who haven't never would. There are some people who would get affected and change their views, though, which is a good thing if you are fighting a moral cause. Also, and that's not really a good piece of info, but relatively true nonetheless, there are a lot of racist, bigoted and just generally discriminating people in the World and if the rest of society bans them from participating in various jobs for example, it would tremendously worsen the situation in the work force, since even though they are quite bad in terms of soul, they still, I suppose, can do something of value. Well, I hope so, at least, lol.

By the way, what is up with people in the USA always giving as an example the far right and the Nazis when it comes to discrimination, even though the far left, ironically, mirrors the far right precisely? I swear, I always found it funny how the people at the ends of the political spectrum hate each other passionately, yet can't see that they have the same personalities. :lmao:

Never mind, I found a pretty short explanation in this video.

Edited by Just_One_Question, 16 September 2017 - 04:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users