Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer taking several attempts to turn on

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gruaiggorm

Gruaiggorm

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:13 PM

System specs: 

CPU: i5-4670K 3.4GHz

Ram: 4x4GB Avexir core  DDR3 PC3-17000C11 2133MHz

Motherboard: Asus Z87-K

PSU: Tagan bz series 800w

SSD: SanDisk extreme pro 240GB SATA 3.0 SSD

I'm not super tech savy so apologies if I'm missing something. 

I've had this computer for about 3 years, bought second hand from a friend who built it himself. I have replaced the RAM myself, re pasted the CPU and installed a heat sink about 2 1/2 years ago. My computer was running fine up until 6 months ago when it started occasionally blue screening. This happened more and more frequently until it was unbearable so I had someone I know look at it. He seemed to not be interested in doing much with it unfortunately so I eventually I got it back off him, after he replaced the HDD and removed the GPU, suspecting one or both were broke. He's not sure I expect because he didn't take the time to actually test each component. It's been running ok the last week with the onboard graphics and this borrowed SSD so I assumed everything was fine.

My new GPU arrived today (a Zotac geforce 1060 6GB) so I installed it and turned it on. It started booting up for a second and then turned off. Without me doing anything, 2 seconds later it turned on and did the same thing. I quickly turn it off and take out the GPU, fearing I had installed it incorrectly. I doubled checked all the cables are sealed tight, made sure no screws were rolling around, blew out dust etc. I turn the computer back on and it does the same thing with no GPU in it. After about 4 restarts, it successfully boots. I've turned it off/on again multiple times to test it and it does the same thing every time, stay on for .5-3 seconds, turn off and try again. The times it does not start, I dont get the beep my computer (I guess my mobo?) gives everytime it starts. When it gets there the 4/5th time, I get the beep and it boots. FWIW, I've never installed a GPU with a PSU cable, but I cant imagine I did anything wrong. I connected the free 6 pin PCI-E cable into the top of the GPU, as the videos I watched instructed. 

When it was blue screening months ago, I ran every test I could on it (mem check, HDD check, temp check and more that I cant remember) but save a few corrupted sectors in the HDD which is no longer in it, there was nothing showing up in the tests.

As far as I can see, this may be the old problem or a new one. The PSU is quite old and this started happening after the GPU was connected to the PSU so maybe that's the issue, though as I said, I'm not particularly knowledgeable on this. What type of tests should I do? Is there something simple that may be the answer?

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. This is stressing me out!

Edited by Gruaiggorm, 15 September 2017 - 05:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:34 PM

The power on and off cycle is indicative of a borderline power supply, either it's in a failing state or about to fail completely.

#3 opera

opera

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 12:34 AM

Just wondering why your Win 10 isn't activated.

#4 Gruaiggorm

Gruaiggorm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 05:42 AM

The power on and off cycle is indicative of a borderline power supply, either it's in a failing state or about to fail completely.

Thank you. Is there anything I can do to further check this, other than replacing the PSU?

Just wondering why your Win 10 isn't activated.

I have a temp SSD in the comp with a temp copy of windows. I have a licenced version of windows 7 at home that I'll install when the comp is fixed. No point doing it yet

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 09:25 AM

Normally the PS will handle most setups but when adding a plugin card such as a GPU, the load on the PS maybe too much.  Another PS may work, but I'd look for one with maybe 100 watts more power.

#6 Gruaiggorm

Gruaiggorm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 09:37 AM

Normally the PS will handle most setups but when adding a plugin card such as a GPU, the load on the PS maybe too much.  Another PS may work, but I'd look for one with maybe 100 watts more power.

Thanks for the advice. Why would I need more than 800w though? Nvidia recommend a 400w supply and the GPU drains 120w. 

#7 rainraingirl

rainraingirl

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 02:26 PM

Thanks for the advice. Why would I need more than 800w though? Nvidia recommend a 400w supply and the GPU drains 120w. 

800w is more than enough for single gpu 1060, however in regards to your specific psu, there are quite a few poor review for that model.

In particular, that it does not deliver the full 800w / stability issues like you describe. Also, the manufacturer has gone out of business so warranty is null. I would look at getting a more solid psu option from reputable company like Seasonic or Corsair. Long warranty, 80+ silver/gold. Of all the parts, psu is the one you don't want to skimp on as it can potentially take other components with it when it fails.

As for wattage required, add up your component cost, then I like to add 30% for depreciation. It's nice to have a little buffer, esp if you decide in future to dual gpu w/o then having to replace psu. Psu efficiency can also drop over time as well.

Edited by rainraingirl, 16 September 2017 - 02:29 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users