Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Invalid folder that nothing can purge

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 konkurada

konkurada

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:08 PM

Hello, I recently downloaded some files & extracted a .rar archive to my desktop. Something went wrong however, and one of the folders became permanently affixed to my desktop.

Any attempt to delete the folder results in a not-so-uncommon error: "Could not find this item, This is no longer located in C:/Users/MyUsername/Desktop. Verify the item's location and try again." What is uncommon is that programs and other files can interact with this folder regularly, eg: I can place other files inside of/take files out of the folder, and programs like Avast! can scan it.

Here's the comprehensive list of things I've tried so far;

-Deleting the folder normally. Results in the error described above. (Same result in safe mode.)

-Going through the command prompt and using the rmdir command. Command prompt returned "This file does not exist." (Same result in safe mode.) NOTE: The directory listing for the desktop did show the folder as being there and having the correct listing of <DIR>.

-Using a third party program called "delinvfile". This program was able to detect this folder being invalid, but not delete it.

-Using a third party program called "Unlocker". This program noted the folder was not locked, and offered to delete it. Attempting to do so returned an error, failing to delete it. Prompted me if I would like to delete it on next boot, which also failed.

-Attempted to use another third party program called "File Assassin" which as it turns out does not work on folders.

-Ran chkdsk which returned no dead links/bad sectors/problems of any kind.

At this point I began to suspect malware so I tried:

-Scanning with Avast! No Results.

-Booting in safe mode, running rkill, then scanning with malware bytes. No results for either.

-Scanning the folder directly with MBAM and Avast! Both reported the folder being clean.

So, provided the clean bill of health from all antivirus software I have, I'm back to thinking it's a folder that got completely lost in the system or something.

I believe this post belongs in the windows 7 forum as it's a problem with a file listing, but if there is a more appropriate forum, please direct me to it and I will put this post there. Thank you :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:15 PM

See if the folder can be deleted in Safe Mode but from the error of not finding the folder I don't think this will work.

Run chkdsk on the drive.

Boot a live linux disk and delete the folder. This is my preferred method as I don't care to use chkdsk unless absolutely necessary which would be if a live linux disk would not work.

I don't know if this computer has UEFI or a Legacy BIOS but Mint Cinnamon would can boot UEFI. Boot Mint and do not input anything during the boot process. Wait until you are at the Mint desktop. Click Computer on the Desktop. You drives are in the left pane. Click the drive and browse to your folder. Right click and select delete. Make sure you are at the correct folder as the deleted folder cannot be recovered.

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3289

#3 konkurada

konkurada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:27 PM

Just wanted to check in before doing this with a couple questions:

-Would a program like unetbootin work to boot Mint Cinnamon?

-Would a virtual machine produce similar results? Something like Oracle VM Virtualbox?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:38 PM

Unetbootin will work as well as Rufus which I prefer. Download Rufus to the desktop. Leave all boxes as checked. If you see Freedos in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the Mint iso. Press Start. If you know the computer is UEFI then select GPT partition scheme. You can determine this by opening a command prompt and typing

diskpart

list disk

If you see an asterisk under the GPT column then you are using UEFI. If not then MBR.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Not sure what you mean by VM producing similar results. Do you mean in regards to booting Mint in a VM and trying to delete the folder? I'm not sure this would work.

#5 konkurada

konkurada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:53 PM

Sincere apologies for my delayed response, we only have one USB drive and it's lost somewhere amongst all our packed boxes. For now all I have is DVD-RWs.

The command prompt returned that I am using MBR. 

The comment about using a virtual machine can be disregarded :)

Edited by konkurada, 15 September 2017 - 05:54 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:55 PM

You can burn the DVD on any Windows 7 or later computer by right clicking the iso and selecting Burn Disk Image. 

#7 konkurada

konkurada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:20 PM

Currently posting from mobile phone. I booted linux from the dvdrw, however I received roughly seven errors, all saying "Failed to enumerate USB device". I am at the desktop but none of my input devices are working. No mouse, no keyboard.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:38 PM

Okay, exit out of Mint. Because you have a DVD-RW erase the disk and burn an iso of UBCD. Click the drive icon link, not the mirror link. At the UBCD menu select Parted Magic. 

See this guide on mounting your disks in Parted Magic. Browse to the folder and delete.

It may be that the burn was too fast. If you have problems with UBCD then use Imgburn to burn the image using a speed no faster than 4x. If you have WinRAR or 7zip you can extract the exe file to a folder which would prevent the OpenCandy offers. 

#9 konkurada

konkurada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:13 PM

That did the trick! The folder is nowhere to be seen on regular boot. Thank you so very much!!!

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:15 PM

Your Welcome. Just to confirm, this was done with Parted Magic?

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 September 2017 - 07:15 PM.

#11 konkurada

konkurada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:16 PM

Yes, I followed your instructions & downloaded UBCD. Went through paired magic, mounted the hard drive, found the folder and deleted it there. It no longer shows up on the desktop, nor in the file directory through the command prompt.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:19 PM

Thanks for the update. Keep UBCD. Along with Parted Magic that has Disk Health on the desktop to check your hard drives there are many other diagnostic tools on the disk. You can always use Parted Magic to recover files should Windows no longer boot as long as the file system is not corrupted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users