Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Updates

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cattch08

cattch08

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:15 AM

Hi i have just got a second hand computer and when i turned on and connected to the net i got a message saying updates available. i click install then got a message saying this may be counterfeight copy of xp. when i start computer i get the message at the sart then its at the bottom of the screen and in bottom task bar .the computer works great otherwise can i get rid of these messages thanks or is it the bin .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:24 AM

No one here is going to help you with pirated software, purchase a legal copy of XP and your problem will be solved. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#3 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:35 AM

This is a risk you run when you buy secondhand computers. As Bear said, you've got to purchase a legal copy of XP.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:19 PM

Actually - sometimes there are mistakes in the authentication process and you may not have a counterfeit version installed. (unless you know for a fact that it is)

Is this a brand name computer and if so does it have the 25 digit Windows Key number on the case?

Did it come with any cds - either a Windows CD or a manufacturer's restore CD?

Edited by Enthusiast, 18 September 2006 - 01:20 PM.

#5 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:38 PM

He's saying he's got the Genuine Advantage icon in his tray and that he gets the error when he tries to use Windows Update. I'm pretty sure that his copy of Windows is counterfeit. The fact thathe bought the computer secondhand would seem to support that opinion.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:43 PM

Not necessarily.

A certain percentage of legitimate computers failed the Genuine Advantage authentication even though they had valid OEM installations.

#7 cattch08

cattch08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 05:25 PM

i have xp on my other 2 computers which come supplied with windows xp and have the xp on a restore disk why cant i put on of my other xp disks into the computer as i have paid for them both

#8 roy wood

roy wood

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:21 PM

>i have xp on my other 2 computers which come supplied with windows xp and have the xp on a restore disk why cant i put on of my other xp disks into the computer as i have paid for them both

Don't do it each copy of XP is licensed to be used in one machine only and has built in software to detect multiple installation, it is so sensitive it will even detect if you add extra hardware to your licensed machine.

If you do you will not be able to use XP in either machine until you receive a revalidation code from Microsoft.

Contact them explain your situation they might provide you with a discounted offer. If not this might be a good chance to try a free O/s like Linux.

Edited by roy wood, 26 January 2007 - 07:24 PM.

#9 Myke

Myke

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:40 PM

Just to add, I bought my Laptop brand new, and it failed the Genuine Advantage test, I had to call up the company that sold me it and they gave me a new key to use.

Not all keys are validated (for some reason).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users