Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want to remove 10 and buy and install 7, help.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kingbalibaby

kingbalibaby

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:34 PM

My PC came with 10, and I want to buy and install 7.  I liked it better.

Hey, I'm asking for a step by step for what I would need to do after I buy 7?  Also, can I just buy and download 7 or I need the physical disk?

Which 7 do you recommend, home or professional and why? 

Thanks

Edited by kingbalibaby, 15 September 2017 - 12:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Tamimwm

Tamimwm

• Malware Study Hall Sophomore
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:16 PM

Just a note, windows 7 mainstream support is no longer available and by 2020 windows extended support will stop.

#3 kingbalibaby

kingbalibaby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:26 PM

That's fine. Thanks.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:59 PM

You can download the Windows 7 ISO from the Microsoft Website and create bootable media, whether an optical disc or USB drive.

You would have to buy a license key for Windows 7 if the machine was from the factory with Windows 10.

The rest of the process is no different, no matter what "direction" you're going:

1.  Take a full system image backup of your current system with your preferred system image backup tool

2.  Take a separate backup of just your user data.

3.  Get into UEFI or BIOS to reset boot order to look at your bootable media drive first.

4.  Boot the machine and go through the installation using the bootable media and license key.

All of the above being said, I do not recommend downgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 7 at this point in time.  Official support is running out, quickly, on Windows 7 and January 2020 will be here before we know it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#5 kingbalibaby

kingbalibaby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 02:20 AM

Also, I want to do it because my computer has been infected and I rather re-install because I think it's what'll do the trick rather than all the programs to download to effectively remove it.  So I don't know if I can even back up all the data?  

#6 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:12 AM

You forgot one very important thing. Namely, whether Windows 10 was installed there as the first OS, or there was preinstalled, for example, Windows 8.1 and then upgraded to Windows 10 and then You bought already like Windows 10. Both versions were on sale in the meantime.
If there was originally installed Windows 10, then it might happen that you can not install anything else besides Windows 10 because Microsoft blocked the installation of older versions on these computers (different methods were used). If there was firstly for example Windows 8.1 and then upgraded (before You bought), You can go back.

#7 kingbalibaby

kingbalibaby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 04:07 AM

You forgot one very important thing. Namely, whether Windows 10 was installed there as the first OS, or there was preinstalled, for example, Windows 8.1 and then upgraded to Windows 10 and then You bought already like Windows 10. Both versions were on sale in the meantime.
If there was originally installed Windows 10, then it might happen that you can not install anything else besides Windows 10 because Microsoft blocked the installation of older versions on these computers (different methods were used). If there was firstly for example Windows 8.1 and then upgraded (before You bought), You can go back.

Wow. That's very good to know. I have to check it out.  My PC is relatively new, I bought it pre owned certified, so would I have to ask my original owner? I probably can, or can I look it up myself somehow?

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 04:31 AM

If the previously mentioned ISO does not work for you, you can purchase either a Retail or an OEM Windows 7 Professional from Altex Electronics of Austin TX.  I purchased two Retail, Microsoft, non-OEM, W&P 32/64 packages from them.  You can get either Retail or OEM, the price will be a little steep, I think $169.00 for OEM, $199 for Retail.

** Note:  Other reliable sources exist!  I heard NewEgg is one more very good source. **

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#9 kingbalibaby

kingbalibaby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 04:37 AM

If the previously mentioned ISO does not work for you, you can purchase either a Retail or an OEM Windows 7 Professional from Altex Electronics of Austin TX.  I purchased two Retail, Microsoft, non-OEM, W&P 32/64 packages from them.  You can get either Retail or OEM, the price will be a little steep, I think $169.00 for OEM, $199 for Retail.

** Note:  Other reliable sources exist!  I heard NewEgg is one more very good source. **

Why would I want the OEM version? I'm a newb, but can understand some things.

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 01:23 PM

I'm not sure what or which Windows 7 is best for you -- Retail Windows can be installed again and again in one computer at a time, OEM can only be installed in one computer (although there are a few folks that indicate there is a legal work-around w/MS).

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,479 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 02:38 PM

As zainmax posted if the computer came pre-installed with Windows 10 find out what CPU you have as the latest CPUs from Intel and AMD will only support Windows 10.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/02/windows_intel_kaby_lake_amd_zen/

#12 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:49 PM

@kingbalibaby #5

You do know that you can download the Win 10 ISO from MS and do a clean install almost as often as you might like ?  I have heard there is an upper limit of re-installs of about 50, but very few of us would ever get close to that. Once Win 10 is installed and activated on a computer you can re-install as often as you wish without requiring a new license.

Yes, a clean re-install will solve virtually all malware problems, but you can do that with Win 10. And if you back up your data to external storage you can scan that to your heart's content with all the tools you might wish. Data is easier to clean than an OS.

Chris Cosgrove

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 4,883 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:27 PM

I like Windows 7 better too, but it will be a bigger headache and cost to install 7 as has been mentioned.  Windows 10 will install faster with almost no headaches and includes more driver support, so less drivers to look for and install if any etc.

You also probably have a Recovery Partition that you can reinstall with quite easily, tell us the Model of your computer and we'll look it up for you.  Sometimes the Recovery Partition can be affected by Malware also but I've had pretty good luck using it.  Whatever you do BACKUP all your personal files first, again, as mentioned.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#14 kingbalibaby

kingbalibaby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:45 AM

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I was just worried about malware on my computer.

So I just rewiped my computer and it's faster now.  I also decided not to do windows 7 - using any electronic device will not be private anyway.

You can close this thread now. Thanks.

Edited by kingbalibaby, 14 October 2017 - 10:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users