Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Stream, Mint, wifi problems

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,891 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:22 PM

This device is a mini laptop with a 29GB hard drive. Currently it has Mint 18.2 XFCE installed and I can get the wifi to work - as proof I am writing this on it - but I cannot get it to stay installed !

Currently I have been following the instructions from this link to try and get it working -

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Issues-with-HP-Stream-11/td-p/5461096

When you re-boot the drivers have gone missing, and by running these two lines of code they come up again -

sudo modprobe -rv rtl8723be
sudo modprobe -v rtl8723be ant_sel=1

This does seem a little odd because the instructions say it should be 'and_sel=2' but, hey, it works. The next step is to create a file and place it in '/etc/modprobe.d/' and this is where I am running into problems. I get 'permission denied'.

I believe I can create the necessary file using the text editor and name it, but how to I get the permission to put it in this folder ?

And the firewall is activated !

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 15 September 2017 - 12:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,391 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:00 PM

Hi, Chris.

You need to open the text editor with root permissions when you create, then 'save' the file. Then it will 'stick'.

I don't know what text editor you're using (Leafpad, Gedit, Geany, Nano; Vim? (*Gawd, I hope not, for your sake!*   :P)) , but you want to open it via the terminal, e.g:-

sudo leafpad, or
sudo gedit, or
sudo geany, or
sudo nano, or
sudo vim

...etc. That will open the editor with the correct permissions, because this is a 'system' file you're modifying/creating, y'see; it's not in your 'home' user folder, so you temporarily 'acquire' root (system) permissions via the use of 'sudo'. Lasts, I believe, for around 10-15 mins; after that, you've got to use 'sudo' again.

Then, having created the file, you can save it to the relevant location, with the appropriate name. When you put those two lines in, don't put 'sudo' at the start of each one; it's not necessary, since it's executed by the system at boot. Like this:-

modprobe -rv rtl8723be
modprobe -v rtl8723be ant_sel=1

Make sense? You'll find out that a large part of any Linux distro you care to name runs from text files like this one. It's why Linux is so easy to modify, and why it's so customizable..!

Conky, the well-known system monitor? Runs from a text file.

Samba, the app that lets you share files over a network? Runs from a text file.

And the configuration stuff for any app you happen to be running? Invariably, without exception, it'll be a text file.... Even the kernel itself (currently somewhere around 30 million lines of code) can (if you wanted to!) be opened as a text file.

So now you know..!  :)

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 15 September 2017 - 07:20 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#3 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 497 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:32 AM

As pointed out above, sudo is your ticket.  As for the "and_sel" that is probably a typo in the original instructions.  ant_sel (for antenna select) makes a lot more sense to me.

.conf files are configuration files, *nix has a history of making them text files.  Same thing with log files, simple text that is easy to read (that's why a lot of folks aren't fond of systemd:  binary log files that you need to know the magic incantations to actually look at).

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,891 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:41 PM

Thanks, particularly to Mike. I would probably have got there eventually but you saved me quite a bit of time.

The text editor in question is Xed, so 'sudo xed' worked a treat. And the wifi came up on each of several test re-boots. I have spent quite a bit of time on this laptop and my normal fee would have been a bottle of gin. BUT. It came to me with Win 10 on it and the object of the exercise was to update Win 10 to the 1703 spec which failed spectacularly, and he got it back as a Linux box !  So I waived my normal fee but he insisted on giving me a bottle of wine. My wife and I drank your health in it this eveniing.

All I really have to do now is find the printer drivers for it.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,391 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 12:27 PM

Ah, glad to help, Chris.

I know from your posts that you're still a bit new to Linux. I'm no expert (only been 'at it' for around 3 1/2 years), but I've probably picked up quite a bit of stuff, one way or another over that period of time. I'm in the position now of being able to answer the kinds of questions I myself was asking, all that time ago!

People still seem to have this idea that Linux is hard to install & use. If anything, the reverse is true; these days, Linux is in many respects easier than Windows. The problem really comes with people's attitudes; you have to be prepared to be 'flexible', and to consider doing the same things in a different way. Try not not be biased, and keep an open mind. That's all it takes.

What would the make & model of your printer happen to be? Let's see if we can sort that one out for you...

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 17 September 2017 - 12:43 PM.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,891 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:30 PM

It's not my laptop, it belongs to a fellow card player. I get landed with these little problems from time to time because I am regarded - rightly or wrongly - as being 'good with computers' !

His printer is an Epson XP305 and I have told him I will look at that when I get back from a couple of weeks' holiday, we are going away at the end of this week. He says there is no urgency as he very seldom prints from it, he has a standard laptop for serious work. I have had a quick look and I think the drivers are readily available but never fear - if I get into trouble I will be back !

Chris Cosgrove

#7 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,391 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:05 PM

It's not my laptop, it belongs to a fellow card player. I get landed with these little problems from time to time because I am regarded - rightly or wrongly - as being 'good with computers' !

His printer is an Epson XP305 and I have told him I will look at that when I get back from a couple of weeks' holiday, we are going away at the end of this week. He says there is no urgency as he very seldom prints from it, he has a standard laptop for serious work. I have had a quick look and I think the drivers are readily available but never fear - if I get into trouble I will be back !

Chris Cosgrove

Ah! I'm glad you said Epson, because I've never used anything else.....and to my mind, they are not hard to install and get running under Linux. Having said that, I've heard the XPS series can be a wee bit awkward...

I'll do some research, and let you know what I find.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,997 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:15 PM

Yep, good luck getting the Scanner to work.  I assume it is possible but I don't have the time to play around with terrible compatibility issues.  They changed the location for the scanner files in 16.04 -as I understand it- so there is a need to know where they need to be installed and to do it manually.  Epson has not Updated their Scanner Drivers for this last time I looked.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#9 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,391 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:31 PM

Have a look here, Chris.

http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/searchModule

Epson's download search page.

Just enter 'XP-305', choose 'Linux' for the OS in the box underneath, hit the 'Search' button (the little magnifying glass) and the next page gives all the available downloads for that printer. (Epson have their site set-up in such a way that if you try to copy/paste a specific page, it just returns you to the generic search page..!)

For each package, you get a list of supported printers, and 'Accept' and 'Decline' buttons right at the bottom. Be aware that if you want to set the scanner working, too (Epson do their own, quite nifty scanner program for Linux), you have to install the drivers for it separately. I see they do at least have a single, 'all-in-one' scanner package now; you used to have to install scanner and data packages. The first depended on the second being installed to begin with.....

DgDCRHh.png

They also do a utility app, too; shows ink levels, does a nozzle check, head cleaning.....even lets you select between multiple printers if you happen to have one than one connected.

QdqIk0t.png

You'll want the .deb packages, naturally.....and one little tip. Install 'gDebi' from the Mint repos, then use that to install the Epson stuff. It's a standalone installer specially for .deb packages.....and, as such, it seems to work a hell of a lot better at tracking down dependencies than the Software Center (or whatever it's called these days) does!

(It's only a 'front-end' for Synaptic & 'apt-get', anyway...)

The Epson site's easy enough to navigate, but does have one or two little quirks. Give us a shout if you run into any problems.

@pcpunk:-

Actually, Epson's scanner package itself hasn't changed for a long time, because it just works.....and very well, too. What did get regularly upgraded was the separate 'data' package.....but since this now appears to be combined with the app itself, it's a bit harder to check.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 18 September 2017 - 12:41 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,997 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:31 PM

I would love to see if you have a solution for this Mike.  Here is the Manual Page for the Scanner Install.  Maybe using the Command line would work better than the Installer.  I've used the Installer/gdebi on 17.3 but it did not work on 18.0

http://download.ebz.epson.net/man/linux/iscan_e.html#sec6-1-2

I did all this stuff also:

Please run the package installation in the following order.

data package
core package
plug-in package (if provided)
image processing plug-in package(optional)

The SANE package version 1.0.3 or later must be installed before installing Image Scan! for Linux.

Let us know what happens Chris

Edited by pcpunk, 18 September 2017 - 12:50 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,997 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:33 PM

That's for Puppy right? it's different in Mint 18.0

I may have done something wrong also, but have seen many with the same problem.  Maybe that Scanner Package will work, I forget how I did it last.

Edited by pcpunk, 18 September 2017 - 12:50 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,997 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:37 PM

Here is their Supported Distro Page LOL

http://download.ebz.epson.net/man/linux/iscan_e.html#sec9

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,391 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:06 PM

Might work differently now they've combined all this stuff into one, single package. My instructions weren't specific to Pup, in any case; it's exactly how I used to do 'em in Trusty (14.04). But as you say, it sounds as though Canonical have been pulling their usual half-assed stunts on the OS again, breaking summat that used to work fine, just the sake of 'newer is better'. Damn well isn't; if it works, I don't see why they just can't leave stuff alone..!

(Idiots. It's like I never understand this near-obsession with constant update, update, update, newer must be better, newer is better, newest is best! If I wanted all that claptrap I'd go back to Windows, and just let Microsoft take over my machine and run it for me..!  :lol:  :rolleyes:)

< mini-rant over! >

It's not a problem using an older, unsupported distro: as long as you have your firewall set-up and working properly, and practise sensible surfing (since that's invariably where all the trouble comes from), an older distro can often be a better fit for older hardware, simply because the hardware demands aren't so high.

I still say Shuttleworth wants to be like his hero, Bill Gates.....  blVgq7T.gif (*shakes head in amazement*)

However, that isn't the message we want to send out here, so.....just ignore this missive! My personal views are not shared by the majority of the membership...

Apologies for any 'mis-direction'. I've gone more than a little 'off-topic' here.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 18 September 2017 - 02:03 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#14 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,891 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:18 PM

Guys, thanks for all this. I will however keep it until the middle of October when I get back from foreign parts, which will be the next time I have time to worry about this friend's laptop, or anybody else's apart from our own.

Starting next Sunday my interests will be (1) Photography, about 1000 photos to take plus my own; (2) Relaxing; (3) Food, drink and sleep.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users