Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recover files from corrupt memory card

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 DSGDSG

DSGDSG

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:59 AM

Hello everyone, I'm at the end of my rope.  I have a SanDisk Extreme 64gb card (which sandisk claims is a counterfeit) that I was using in my DJI Mavic Pro.  Suddenly the drone gave a card error in mid flight.  I have placed the card in my computer and it asks me to format the card.  I hit cancel.  The movies on this card are irreplaceable.  I used the program "EaseUs" to mine it and recover my files.  I have all the files (.mov type) and all the file sizes look to be correct for what they are, however not a single one will play on any machine I use.  Is there another program I can use to recover these files and have them work properly or is there a way to get these .MOV files to be recognized and play properly?

I appreciate your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:02 AM

try to convert the .mov files to another format such as .AVI or MPEG4

and see if they will play....what program are you trying to play them with?

Edited by mikey11, 15 September 2017 - 10:02 AM.

#3 DSGDSG

DSGDSG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:12 AM

Just tried opening them on my laptop and then a desktop as I would any other file by double clicking.  Tried a movie player too but don't remember what it was now.  What program should I use to convert?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:17 AM

Download Testdisk for Windows. Unzip to a folder on your desktop. In that folder is a program called PhotoRec. Do not use QPhotoRec as the algorithm is not as powerful as the command version. All files are recovered in real time with the correct extensions but the files will have generic names.

PhotoRec step by step.  Select the SD card with the sdX detection. Do not use the drive letter if that is also offered. If you have only one hard drive the SD card will most likely be called sdb.

PhotoRec step by step.

All files will be recovered to the unzipped folder of Testdisk. Note. PhotoRec allows you select which file extensions you wish to recover under Folder Options. Sometimes PhotoRec will recover files intact where Easeus cannot.

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 September 2017 - 10:18 AM.

#5 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:38 AM

Just tried opening them on my laptop and then a desktop as I would any other file by double clicking.  Tried a movie player too but don't remember what it was now.  What program should I use to convert?

a .MOV file should play on windows media player as is

#6 DSGDSG

DSGDSG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:03 AM

a .MOV file should play on windows media player as is

Yes it should.  My problem is that it is not though and I'm being told to reacquire the content.

Download Testdisk for Windows. Unzip to a folder on your desktop. In that folder is a program called PhotoRec. Do not use QPhotoRec as the algorithm is not as powerful as the command version. All files are recovered in real time with the correct extensions but the files will have generic names.

PhotoRec step by step.  Select the SD card with the sdX detection. Do not use the drive letter if that is also offered. If you have only one hard drive the SD card will most likely be called sdb.

PhotoRec step by step.

All files will be recovered to the unzipped folder of Testdisk. Note. PhotoRec allows you select which file extensions you wish to recover under Folder Options. Sometimes PhotoRec will recover files intact where Easeus cannot.

Thank you, I will give this a shot right now.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,826 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:29 AM

If PhotoRec fails consider a professional data recovery service which is not inexpensive. It depends on how valuable these files are. DriveSavers is one of the better ones.

Edit: There is a chance Testdisk, in the unzipped folder, can detect lost partitions. Do a Quick Search and if it finds a partition. Highlight it with the arrow keys and press upper case "P". Does it see your files?

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 September 2017 - 11:38 AM.

#8 DSGDSG

DSGDSG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:21 PM

If PhotoRec fails consider a professional data recovery service which is not inexpensive. It depends on how valuable these files are. DriveSavers is one of the better ones.

Edit: There is a chance Testdisk, in the unzipped folder, can detect lost partitions. Do a Quick Search and if it finds a partition. Highlight it with the arrow keys and press upper case "P". Does it see your files?

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

I did it.  Took a a bit over an hour and I had high hopes but in the end I'm getting the same error.  Not playable and reacquire content.  Ugh.  I'm sick to my stomach.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,826 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:28 PM

If PhotoRec failed I doubt Testdisk would be able to recover the files but you can try doing a Quick Search and see if the Partitions are detected. See my edited post.

If a Quick Search finds nothing I would not do a Deeper Search unless you do not plan on using a professional recovery service.

Edit: Where Media Player failed see if VLC can play the content.

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 September 2017 - 12:29 PM.

#10 DSGDSG

DSGDSG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:43 PM

If PhotoRec failed I doubt Testdisk would be able to recover the files but you can try doing a Quick Search and see if the Partitions are detected. See my edited post.

If a Quick Search finds nothing I would not do a Deeper Search unless you do not plan on using a professional recovery service.

Edit: Where Media Player failed see if VLC can play the content.

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

After downloading VLC I noticed that two of the movies work (not needing vlc to do so).  The rest do nothing at all, not even an error message in VLC when trying to open them.  Two is progress though.  Perhaps all hope is not lost. I contacted drivesavers.  3K is more than I'm willing to invest for the most basic service unfortunately.  I will have to take a look at your other instructions with testdisk when I have a moment to sit and concentrate on them since this is all new to me.

#11 DSGDSG

DSGDSG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:02 PM

It sees one partition which is listed twice.  I see that means it's corrupted.  I tried highlighting it but it won't allow me to.  It will only allow me to do a quick search on it which I am running now.  When that is done maybe I'll be able to highlight one of the partitions listed twice.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,826 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:06 PM

Another thing to watch out for that may work if QuickSearch does not. Run Testdisk again. This time select Advanced instead of Analyze. Highlight one of the partitions and select List. If you get nothing try the other partition.

#13 DSGDSG

DSGDSG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:56 PM

OK I tried every single recovery program I could find.  All pulled the files off the sd card but not a single one is playable.  When attempting to repair using VLC nothing happens.  Is there a way to fix the corrupted .mov files or a wy to fix the sd card itself?  There must be a way to recover these movies.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,826 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:43 AM

I would not know where to begin in regards to repairing the SD card, sorry. Perhaps there is a local source for professional recovery that would be less expensive.

See the below link for a possible solution to repairing a corrupt .mov file. I have no experience with Stellar. The software allows you to preview the repaired video but in order to save it you need to purchase a license.

https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/repair-corrupt-mp4-mov-using-vlc-media-player/

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 September 2017 - 07:45 AM.

#15 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:46 AM

try downloading freemake

it is a free video conversion program,

http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/

you could also try lightworks, and see if they play with their software,