Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Making a one-long-page .pdf from .docx (Win7)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nukon

Nukon

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:09 AM

Hello everyone,

I have a long MS Word document (about 50 A4 pages) that I want to convert into one long page, and then make a .pdf out of it (or conversely, the order doesn't really matter). The problem is that MS Word doesn't allow changing the page size beyond 22 inches. I've tried doing it in the Apache OpenOffice, but this program has some problems with .pdf conversion (line thickness is incorrect). Is there any software which could help me with this? My operating system is Windows 7.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:06 AM

I'm not sure this is what you are looking for but in Word select View > Web Layout. Resize the Window to your preference. You can also do the page merge in Open Office and then use Bullzip to convert the PDF. It's a Virtual PDF printer. Perhaps Libre Office, a fork of Open Office, with better support can convert to PDF better.

Bullzip printer. Link in under the Community Version.

http://cdn.bullzip.com/download/pdf_free/Setup_BullzipPDFPrinter_11_4_0_2674_FREE.exe

#3 Nukon

Nukon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:25 PM

I'm not sure this is what you are looking for but in Word select View > Web Layout. Resize the Window to your preference. You can also do the page merge in Open Office and then use Bullzip to convert the PDF. It's a Virtual PDF printer. Perhaps Libre Office, a fork of Open Office, with better support can convert to PDF better.

Bullzip printer. Link in under the Community Version.

http://cdn.bullzip.com/download/pdf_free/Setup_BullzipPDFPrinter_11_4_0_2674_FREE.exe

Web Layout doesn't change the structure of the document, so it's not what I'm looking for. Both Libre Office and Bullzip have the same issue with converting to .pdf as Apache OpenOffice. Just to confirm: MS Word converts the document properly.

Edited by Nukon, 15 September 2017 - 01:27 PM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:32 PM

Never having done this, nor wanted to (I can't imagine trying to scroll through what had been a fifty plus page document forced to a single gargantuan page) I don't know if either of the following will help.

If MS-Word is able to make this thing a massive single page could you not use its own "Save as PDF" option?  I believe this has been around since Word 2007, and know it's been around since Word 2010.  I have never seen Word save a document, even in a different format, where the structure of the saved document does not match that of its source Word document.

Another option might be using PDF Forge's PDF creator, which is a logical printer that takes anything you print using it and generates the corresponding PDF.  It has always preserved source formatting for me, but I also always use pagination.

Another possibility is generating a PDF document per page and using PDF Split & Merge to fuse them into one.  I would definitely do my homework first about whether it can merge multiple pages into a single long page.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#5 Nukon

Nukon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:50 AM

Never having done this, nor wanted to (I can't imagine trying to scroll through what had been a fifty plus page document forced to a single gargantuan page)

In my case it's actually the most convenient way to go through this document, but I understand that most of the time it wouldn't be a good idea.

If MS-Word is able to make this thing a massive single page could you not use its own "Save as PDF" option?  I believe this has been around since Word 2007, and know it's been around since Word 2010.  I have never seen Word save a document, even in a different format, where the structure of the saved document does not match that of its source Word document.

Another option might be using PDF Forge's PDF creator, which is a logical printer that takes anything you print using it and generates the corresponding PDF.  It has always preserved source formatting for me, but I also always use pagination.

Another possibility is generating a PDF document per page and using PDF Split & Merge to fuse them into one.  I would definitely do my homework first about whether it can merge multiple pages into a single long page.

Well, I only meant that MS Word makes a .pdf that looks exactly the same as it did in form of a .docx. I'm still not able to modify the page size there (and loading a document with page size beyond 22 inches converts it back to 22 inches). I'll check PDF Creator, thank you.

Edit: It looks like it's not possible to set a custom page size in both PDF Creator and PDF Architect. Setting custom page size within Apache OpenOffice and then printing it with PDF Creator resulted in a completely bugged document (only the first page was there and it was very wide).

Edited by Nukon, 16 September 2017 - 04:31 AM.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 06:23 PM

(only the first page was there and it was very wide)

This sounds like you had it set to landscape layout rather than portrait. Make sure it is set to 'Portrait' and give it another try.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 Nukon

Nukon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:19 AM

(only the first page was there and it was very wide)

This sounds like you had it set to landscape layout rather than portrait. Make sure it is set to 'Portrait' and give it another try.

Chris Cosgrove

Oh, you are right, I don't know why I haven't noticed this. But even when set to proper orientation, a document printed with PDF Creator has the same problems with line thickness. So this is probably an issue with Apache OpenOffice/Libre Office not loading the .docx properly. Are there any tools which would let me change the page size of an existing .pdf? This way I could do everything without OpenOffice.

Edit: Or is there some text editor that's more compatible with MS Word than Apache OpenOffice (and which doesn't have any limit on custom page size)?

Edit 2: Opening the document with Apache OpenOffice, removing all lines, and adding them again seems to resolve the problem with wrong line thickness in the generated .pdf. So if everything else fails, I think I'll just write a macro in OpenOffice which would do this automatically. But from what I've seen the OpenOffice macros are really messy, so I'd rather find a clearer and more pleasant solution.

Edited by Nukon, 18 September 2017 - 09:50 AM.

#8 Nukon

Nukon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:07 PM

Editing a .pdf that was genereted with MS Word (which has correct line thickness) using Adobe Acrobat creates a .pdf with incorrect line thickness, so apparently it's not just Apache OpenOffice's issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users