Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

forum algorithms

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cookie_Dash

Cookie_Dash

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:55 AM

there's about 5 forums I think... I have friends there who were banned... they were quite upset about it, so I decided to help them by creating them accounts or giving them mine... are there algorithms to detect this? They got banned and I'm not sure how they knew because they were behaving normally. And it was me who'd registered the accounts. I'm not that active there. Just occasionally go to ask stuff for college. I'm just a bit upset because I had to create a new account and I basically lost my initial identity because I had quite a lot of useful posts.

And on one particular coding forum, after about 30 attempts by me to try to let my (online) friend back in, they started banning me as well. On that forum I wasn't active either, mostly just logged in at college,... and me and my friend just happen to live in the same country but we lived in different cities, about 3 hours away, so I'm not really sure how the IP location would pan out. But from intution they might have thought they were getting around the detection by logging in at the college and all that and not trust we're different people, or just banning me as a counter-measure if you know what i mean, but I'm just quite upset the admins just keep getting me as well now. But I don't really understand my friend and I were signing up and logging in with the proxies and behaving normally... and I was getting misidentified. I don't mean "misidentified", but my issues started since I was giving my banned friend access, but I don't understand how they identified her, considering she used proxies to login, and was behaving totally normally. She just used my accounts when she wanted help with stuff.

I basically don't understand because I'm the one who registered these accounts and they used proxies at their house and they just got banned when they logged in... I was just trying to help them, they're my friends, I trust them, and they were of value to them, and they were telling me they wanted a chance to prove themselves so i was trying to help them... I don't know what else to say.

so i was just wondering if there's use of technical counter-measures ? I don't understand how they'd know my friends get access to my accounts if i create them... and they're using proxies to login, and nothing suspicious on their part.

Edited by Cookie_Dash, 15 September 2017 - 04:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:11 AM

I decided to help them by creating them accounts or giving them mine

So can we take it that you would also be prepared to do that here?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Cookie_Dash

Cookie_Dash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:19 AM

I decided to help them by creating them accounts or giving them mine

So can we take it that you would also be prepared to do that here?

I'm not friends with anyone here yet...I only signed up a few days ago and don't really have any posts. I don't know anyone who's been banned. I ask here because it was an issue on other forums.

I'm saying I don't really do it anymore because those few times I did, I'd lose my account and my contributions, so I had to create a new one and start from zero which was kinda self-destruct for myself in a way and then on one forum cus I'd attempted to "let a friend back" so many times they kept banning me as a counter-measure...I assume they probably eventually thought it was them from intution (although they wouldn't approve of me sharing my account with banned members obviously) cus we lived in the same country and that but I have no idea since we live 3 hours away, different cities, and there were so many attempts with me logging in from my college (because that's normally when i needed to use the forum)... (though the issue was me giving them my account so many times, not me getting misidentified though) and they were banning me as a counter-measure.

I usually just ask stuff for the banned members if necessary, there's no point to giving them my accounts anyway. Just doing them a favour. I feel like that's better than giving my account to them. I had no intention of doing this here, though, I was just asking out of curiousity.

Anyway, my question... I was just wondering if there were algorithms, because it really doesn't make a lot of sense to me how they were known if I registered these accounts and they were logged in with proxies ?

Edited by Cookie_Dash, 15 September 2017 - 09:24 AM.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,531 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:58 AM

I can assure you that like the antimalware tools we host and offer to teach how to use. We would not reveal in open forum the inner workings of such measures you inquire about. People who would use the information to defeat the tools read the forums. So in essence the tool or methods you employ would be worthless against the very person or persons you wish to mitigate.

I can't speak for how any other forum operates or what specific measures they employ. Nor do I feel they would appreciate me doing so. I only speak for and represent BleepingComputer. How and why we do things related to member accounts is not open for discussion for the very reasons mentioned above.

I hope you can understand why we take this position.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users