Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Write permission issues.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DonParapn

DonParapn

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:52 AM

Okay. I've recently noticed that I have more and more problems with Write permissions. Some software is just not able to save things. 

Some time ago I had a locked tmp folder and fixed it somehow. 
Recently I had a game that couldn't save into the documents folder and I was able to fix it by relocating the documents folder. (With the Properties-Location function on the documents folder)

Now I have the trouble also on my desktop. Some software simply can't write in some folders on my computer. Does anybody know what's going on? I have no clue how to fix this permanently.

EDIT

Oh freaking nevermind that. Of course I found out what it was a second after posting this. Stupid antivirus being a jerk.

Edited by DonParapn, 15 September 2017 - 04:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:11 AM

Thanks for letting us know how it was resolved.

(Has mental image of software company deciding to call their product Stupid Antivirus... :) )
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 DonParapn

DonParapn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:47 AM

Well. You should write a mail to bitdefender then. That's what I used until an hour ago. :P

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:32 AM

Ransomware protection in Bitdefender can prevent writes if it is suspicious of the validity of a programs behavior, e.g.:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40388495/windows-10-and-netbeans-no-write-permissions/41734179

and may just need the program added to the trusted list.

False positives can be frustrating, but there would be a lot of folk hit by ransomware that would have been glad to see write permission denied.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 DonParapn

DonParapn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:09 AM

I don't mind false positives. But I do mind if it doesn't notify me. Anyways. Bitdefender was thrown out. It never told me if it did something which I always hated but that was too much for me now.

#6 applesauce10189

applesauce10189

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:44 AM

Thanks for making this thread. I was getting ready to reinstall my OS because I didn't understand why my games couldn't write their save data to my Documents folder, thus ruining the games. BitDefender's "Safe File" was blocking them by default without my permission it seems.

#7 DonParapn

DonParapn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:02 AM

Bitdefender does a lot without permission. or at least without telling you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users