Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sudden appearance of App Readiness

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lithoartist

lithoartist

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:33 AM

I had been working at my desktop yesterday and left it for a break.  I returned to find the Welcome screen.  I logged in and discovered everything I had been working on had closed.  It was extremely fortunate, and a reminder, that I had saved a long text file I was compiling.  Reliability Monitor showed the culprit to be App Readiness as an application failure.  We can be sure something new will always appear.  I have no idea about App Readiness and what is likely to have caused its sudden appearance. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:20 AM

My first thought is that it checks the computer to see if it is ready for the Fall/Autumn update.

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:25 AM

do you have your computer set to do auto updates?

if you do and your computer was turned off the night before, it has a rule that monitors activity all day and when it detects a non use state then it will do the updates that were supposed to happen in the weeee early morning.  and that's probably what happened.  you were away from your computer long enough it thought it was inactive and just went a head and did the update.

if you don't want it to do this then you need to set the updates to download & you tell when to install them.

#4 lithoartist

lithoartist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:21 AM

mightywiz

I thank you for your reply and detailed explanation.

Active hours in Windows Updates were set to 08:00 and 17:00.  I have changed the end time to 22:00 in light of what you wrote.  It is strange, however, that this is my first experience of this event.

2017-09 Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1703...  at 17:41 and 2017-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703... at 19:17 appear in the list of Information events along with a few others as "Successful Windows Updates", none later than 19:17.    Reliability Monitor displayed a Critical event and App Readiness "Stopped working" at 19:44.  There have been no further updates today.  That appears to leave a question mark over it, still.   

#5 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:19 PM

I usually ignore the reliability monitor although it is a great tool when looking into repeat failures, but for an event that only happens on occasion may cause you to start a goose chase that wasn't something you didn't need to worry about in the first place.

and a single notice like "stopped working" at a certain time is not a big deal until it starts happening repeatedly.  at that point I would look into whats causing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users