Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stutter in games and random split second desktop freezes

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 xXZexxMooreXx

xXZexxMooreXx

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:10 AM

--- Description ---

In the games I've tried, all of them has been plagued with stuttering which makes them unplayable for me.

I've also come to notice that, while watching a video for example, there will be times of split second freezes where there audio will make a "brrrrrr' sound.

[Bad Company 2, BF3, BF4, Mad Max, Just Cause 3, STALKER, ARMA 3, Far Cry, Left 4 Dead]

--- SPECS ---

Drive : Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA 6G | 30GB free)
CPU : Ryzen 1700 (stock clocks and cooler)                  //NEW
Mobo: Gigabyte AX370 K7 (F7a BIOS)                          //NEW
RAM : 2x Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz 4gb (@ 2133Mhz) //NEW
GPU : GTX 1080
PSU : Corsair RM750x                                                    //NEW
Monitor: SyncMaster SA850T 1440p 60Hz

--- What I've Tried ---

1) Updated drivers for mobo and gpu
2) Checked CPU/GPU temps, all were good
3) Ryzen balanced plan
4) Updated bios to F4 for the main bios
5) Tried running from backup bios
6) Windows selective startup, disabling all non-ms services
7) Reseated ram and gpu
8) Malware/Virus scan clean
9) V-Sync on/off
10) Reset Windows (keeping personal files), installed drivers again
11) Updated F4 bios to F7a
12) Disabled Simultaneous MultiThreading (SMT)
13) Disabled High Precision Event Timer (HPET) in bios
14) Disabled the Xbox app video recorder and the NVidia one.
15) Disabled search indexing and compatibility telemetry scan.
16) Frame limiter set to 60 in Nvidia Profile Inspector
17) Checked DPC with LatencyMon, came back good
18) Fresh Win 10 install

19) Prime95: 2 hours with small ffts, passed.

--- Notes ---

I tried the original Far Cry game and I still got the stutters. I also noticed that, when moving the mouse around, the there is a vibration like effect going on as well. It looks like the screen is vibrating slightly and would be similar to the effects of a camera being slid across a fine-tooth blade.

Edited by xXZexxMooreXx, 15 September 2017 - 06:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXZexxMooreXx

xXZexxMooreXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:32 AM

I found an old thread here from March 2017, and the conclusion reached there was a faulty GPU or motherboard.  All I did was move the GPU over to a new rig, and it wasn't having any issues in the previous one.  I'm starting to believe I should RMA the motherboard. 

#3 Steven_M

Steven_M

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:36 AM

Sounds like a GPU issue.

Do you have a spare GPU laying around you could swap over? Or could you get your hands on one?

Or you could see if you can find a game where the issue occurs which could be handled by the inbuilt graphics on your mobo. 

#4 xXZexxMooreXx

xXZexxMooreXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:22 PM

Sounds like a GPU issue.

Do you have a spare GPU laying around you could swap over? Or could you get your hands on one?

Or you could see if you can find a game where the issue occurs which could be handled by the inbuilt graphics on your mobo. 

I have tried the GPU in another computer and it worked as intended. 

I just called the Gigabyte tech support and was told I've tried nearly everything he could think of, except trying the video card in another PCIe slot and a known working PSU.  I was told that it sounded like communication error with the PCIe slot and is leaning toward a faulty motherboard.  

According to the tech support individual I spoke with, he said if all tests passed with prime95 in a two hour run, it was likely not the CPU in his opinion.   

Edited by xXZexxMooreXx, 15 September 2017 - 01:23 PM.

#5 Steven_M

Steven_M

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:24 PM

if it worked fine in another PC then yes, I suspect the chap you spoke to is correct. 

Edited by Steven_M, 15 September 2017 - 01:26 PM.

#6 xXZexxMooreXx

xXZexxMooreXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:09 PM

if it worked fine in another PC then yes, I suspect the chap you spoke to is correct. 

Just to be thorough, I tried another PCIe slot and and brand new RX 480 card, but the result was the same as before.  The last thing is another PSU.  

Assuming the motherboard is defective, what do you think that risks are continuing to use it until RMA is approved?  That's something I've been thinking about and have never consider that scenario before. 

#7 Steven_M

Steven_M

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:34 PM

It's always advisable not to continue to use faulty pieces of equipment as it could lead to damaging other components and as you're using quite an expensive build if something was to go wrong, it's not going to be cheap.

It's not a risk worth taking, in my opinion.

Alternatively you could remove parts like the GPU and some of the RAM as a precaution but just be clear, the risk is still there for the CPU, SSD and remaining RAM.

#8 xXZexxMooreXx

xXZexxMooreXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:45 PM

It's always advisable not to continue to use faulty pieces of equipment as it could lead to damaging other components and as you're using quite an expensive build if something was to go wrong, it's not going to be cheap.

It's not a risk worth taking, in my opinion.

Alternatively you could remove parts like the GPU and some of the RAM as a precaution but just be clear, the risk is still there for the CPU, SSD and remaining RAM.

I was thinking it probably wasn't a good idea.  I've now tried everything I know and whatever body else suggested, so I'll not take that risk any longer.  If something were to happen, I might have tears. 

Thanks for the input Steven, and when the RMA comes through, I'll update the thread. 

#9 Steven_M

Steven_M

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:53 PM

No problem :) .

Edited by hamluis, 19 September 2017 - 01:24 PM.

#10 xXZexxMooreXx

xXZexxMooreXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:10 PM

I have just now discovered the source as a faulty surge protector.  Any computer hooked up to this one surge protector, would experiencing the same symptoms, but would be completely fine when moved over to my other desk.  The only one I never tried over there was this new rig, not until today when I started seeing the pattern. 

I was even able to reproduce the symptoms at my secondary desk by using the surge protector from my main desk. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users