Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd drive+Screen damaged, now software issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Broomptish

Broomptish

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:35 AM

HI folks my Laptop specs are:

Lenovo b50-80

1tb harddrive

16gb of ram

i7 processor generation 5

Windows 7 64bit

I recently moved house and like a fool I dropped the laptop bag off my bike it landed hard right on the corner and it's damaged my cd-drive. It protrudes a bit wont open are close either.The casing of the screen on teh top right hand side is also a bit off, looking at my window now the view of the angle dips to the right.

A few days afterwards I noticed my time would revert to 2013 disabling my internet. I changed the time to automatic and re-entered it in BIOS and today it again reverted the time. Also sometimes icons in  the task bar wouldn't appear. Just now the wifi icon isn't there but I'm connected, it's sometimes there, sometimes not. Last night I was playing things fine then moved to another room, Ive broken my battery before so can only plug in. When I moved to the other room it took forever to boot then programs were crashing, internet was slow. Thinking the movement caused something perhaps??

My music programme ableton had issues after I booted up again the projects wouldn't load. I disabled virtual instruments when loading ableton and this opened my projects fine. I've yet to try enabling vst's as working on some things and going to back up stuff.

Before I dropped it though I did notice some sluggishness. I scanned with malwarebytes, superanti-spyware and avira anti-virus, only superanti spyware found things, which it usually does due to football streaming sites I usually hit at weekends.

Any advice? I know I obviously have to get the drive repaired at a shop, but is this the reason for the software issues, is my hard drive damaged??

Ideas of what physically needs fixed and anything I could do with software would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Update the vst folder is crashing ableton when I enable it which makes me think it could be unrelated, but then could be a hard drive issue.

EDIT 2: I just rembered before I dropped it I noticed an issue. I had recently cleaned my desktop up and deleted a lot of files and arranged the ones left nice and tidy on the corner of my desktop, the files I didn't delete when booting up again are in the same place, they are spread out over the screen. This memory has just made me think it's more a software problem as again I arranged my icons the other night and again they have went back to where they were before I deleted a lot of things.

Thanks

Edited by Broomptish, 15 September 2017 - 01:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:01 PM

Dropping laptops is not good for them !

Your clock resetting to 2013 suggests that your CMOS battery has come loose and is not connecting properly, it is also possible that one of your RAM sticks has become disconnected. The CMOS battery could also be responsible for your icons moving.

The problem is that there could be quite a lot of damage inside this, especially as you dropped it hard enough to dislodge or distort the DVD drive or its housing. If you do decide to take this to a shop it would be wise to ask for an estimate of the cost of repair. It may be time to replace it.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 15 September 2017 - 05:01 PM.

#3 Broomptish

Broomptish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:26 AM

Thanks for the information Chris appreciated. Clock is no longer reverting but whole system is sluggish. Will take it to a shop at the end of the month. I'll update as things progress. Thanks from a fellow Scot ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users