Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to prevent malware or other viruses from infecting my computer.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FascinatingPH

FascinatingPH

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:40 PM

Hello,

We recently bought desktop PC's for video playback using vMix for corporate events. So what will happen during each event is, the client will give us their flash drives, external hard drives or other storage devices. 

Now, I want to secure my PC so it won't be infected if their storage device has a virus or malware upon connecting it to our PC. 

Is an antivirus and Malwarebytes enough to protect it? Or are there any programs that can help them prevent it. 

Thanks.

Edited by britechguy, 14 September 2017 - 08:06 PM.
Moved from Malware Removal Logs per staff request

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:07 PM

The security options of using an anti virus (but make it an internet security) and Malwarebytes is good.

Also, you can force all your employees to scan the devices before starting any work. 

People need things done in an instant. This is a major problem everywhere. 

First things first,

The question you posed is running in the minds of people all around the world since the invention of virus family :P.

Sorry, no offense meant.

Here goes my idea, think whatever you think of it.

Set up a separate system first, With the intent of security purposes.

Have an antivirus (use some good ones and Paid ones, though I would suggest Kaspersky/ Nod32; the choice is yours. But whatever please do not go for Avast/AVG.)

Also, have Malwarebytes (Premium version please, we need real time monitoring which is a premium feature only).

The system should be having internet connection but no one should be using emails/browsing. People can be stupid many a number of times.

Scan the media on this system then move on to your working systems.

Make a mandatory rule for scanning the external media before using.

Why did I suggest an entirely new system for scanning?

The video editing/ Photo editing software use fairly high system resources. Security Software may at times clash with them being the reason.

Alternatively,

You can request them to give the data (initial data required) in form of DVD's/CDs. 

Also, you can give their final input in the same format. I mean applying a no USB policy.

(Which these days is a very difficult process, believe me, I experienced it myself).

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:44 AM

Security is all about layers and not depending on any one solution, technology or approach to protect yourself from cyber-criminals. The most important layer is you...the first and last line of defense.

The best defensive strategy to protect yourself from malware and ransomware (crypto malware) infections is a comprehensive approach to include prevention and your best defense is back up, back up, and more back up on a regular basis. Preferably keeping a separate, offline backup to a device that is not always connected to the network.

For more suggestions to protect yourself from malware, see Answers to common security questions - Best Practices for Safe Computing.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:59 AM

1- Have safe practice 

2- use security products that fit your skills and needs, the "best" rated one isn't forcibly the best for you.

3- learn your system, don't modify it all the time by adding useless software, be used to it, with time you will be able to pinpoint just by "eyes" or "feeling" taht something isn't normal.

Emsisoft Community Manager

#5 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:39 AM

Most modern malware/viruses are spread thru emails bad websites and attachments. Before the internet they were almost exclusively passed by media. But to be safe you can scan the devices before using.

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:06 PM

Crypto malware and other forms of malware spread via a variety of common vectors...opening a malicious or spam email attachment, executing a malcious file, web exploits, exploit kits, malvertising campaigns, non-malware (fileless) attacks:, drive-by downloads and RDP bruteforce attacks against servers especially by those involved with the development and spread of ransomware.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users