Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

crash while transfering files

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Teague

Teague

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:22 PM

Hello,

When my PC is transfering files ( without doing that online just from disk to disk, or to same disk ), after a while the disk and internet crash and sorta my pc aswell, it still responds and can do things but internet and disk just crash.

It doesn't really matter which disk I use. 

Last time it crashes while I was transfering files from External HDD to the same disk and my disk and internet crash.

PC specs:

Proccesor: I5-7600

GPU: nvidia 1070

Motherbord: MSI Kraitgaming z270

RAM: Corsair vengeance 3000 mhz 16 GB

AV: BD TS 18

OS disk: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB (SSD

HDD disk: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB

External HDD: Seagate Backup Plus Portable

I ran disk troubleshooters but they say there are no errors

Samsung Magician

Edited by Teague, 14 September 2017 - 07:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,953 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:45 PM

Please follow these BSOD posting instructions and attach the requested files by replying to this topic. You may skip the part of step three where it instructs you to create a new topic, since you already have a topic here. There's no need to create another topic. :wink:

Thank you.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 Teague

Teague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:25 AM

Hello BWV848,

Thanks for replying so fast.

Power supply  650W Corsair RM650x

The PC is 7 months old.

The info you requested.

Attached Files

Edited by Teague, 15 September 2017 - 07:14 AM.

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:12 AM

Hi,

No traces of BSODs anywhere. What do you mean by "crash"?

Please uninstall the following programs, as they are known to causes BSODs/hangs:

MSI Afterburner
RivaTuner Statistics Server
Any other MSI software you don't need

In newer version of Windows (and even older ones), I always recommend that your BIOS is fully updated to rule out the chance of low-level compatibility issues. I've seen cases in which problems that appeared to be hardware-related were actually because of a buggy BIOS version. Anyway, in your case, your BIOS version is A.60 from 6/27/2017. Updates can be found on your motherboard's (or manufacturer's) website. As updating the BIOS presents several risks, please ensure that your computer doesn't have the risk of shutting down halfway through (so DO NOT update it during a thunderstorm or if the state of the PSU is questionable) and double-check that you have obtained the correct BIOS version for your motherboard. Here are some guides that I've found on the internet:

These are just general guides. ALWAYS follow the instructions posted on your motherboard's (or manufacturer's) website.

Please ensure that Windows is fully updated. You have three hotfixes installed. Occasionally (theoretically very rarely) BSODs/hangs can be caused by missing Windows Updates. Here's a guide on how to check for and install Windows Updates:

Perform several checks for updates, as usually the first check doesn't get them all.

There are several Live Kernel Events indicated in WER, typically indicative of a graphics problem. Please reinstall your NVIDIA graphics drivers using the drivers listed from your subvendor's website (e.g. MSI, ASUS). Try not to use the ones on NVIDIA's website.

Apart from that, I suggest you update ALL drivers via your motherboard's website (since we don't have a clear culprit), especially any SATA and USB drivers. Finally, run Driver Verifier if issues continue to persist: http://www.carrona.org/verifier.html Also, run all the hardware diagnostics listed on this page: http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Regards,
bwv848

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 Teague

Teague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:27 AM

What I mean with crash is, the disk and the internet just stops working.

I transferred files and it stopped transferring files and internet then also stops working. Taskmanager also stops working. I still can watch something. I can shut down my pc threw windows but it will never completly shutdown the PC, so at the end I need to press the on/off button to shut it down.

My BIOS is up to date. A.60 is the latest 1, as you can see on this site from MSI Kraitgaming

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z270-KRAIT-GAMING.html#support_download

Other drivers aswell

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z270-KRAIT-GAMING.html#down-driver ( windows 10 64 )

Windows 10 aswell is up to date.

RivaTuner Statistics Server

What is that? I can't find it. Didn't even knew I had it

I can't find MSI afterburner aswell.

Deleted the 2 other MSI programs I had.

I never runned it, so it's not a problem to uninstall it :)

The GPU is a barebone 1 from nvidia it self. No MSI/ASUS 1070 copy

Then, here's the procedure to run Driver Verifier:
- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
- Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
- Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"

The last step, I can't find it. 

I get this window after the 2nd step

Attached Files

Edited by Teague, 15 September 2017 - 05:41 PM.

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:19 PM

Ignore Driver Verifier for now... do you see any WER messages pop up? Do they actually say "not responding"? Let's run an SFC scan and a CHKDSK:

:step1: Check Disk

WARNING: It is recommended that you backup ALL your files. If CHKDSK finds and repairs a corrupted sector, you may lose your data.

• Click Start, enter cmd.exe in the Search box, right-click on cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator.
  • Type the following command and hit ENTER:
chkdsk /R
  • You should see this message:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
  • Type Y and hit Enter on your keyboard.
  • Restart your computer and CHKDSK will run.

Once CHKDSK is complete, we need the log:

• Click Start, enter powershell.exe in the Search box, right-click on powershell.exe, and then click Run as administrator.
  • Copy this command:
Get-WinEvent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername –match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message | out-file $Env:UserProfile\Desktop\CHKDSKResults.txt
  • Right-click in Powershell to paste the command.
  • You will find CHKDSKResults.txt on your Desktop. Copy/paste that log in your next reply.

:step2: System File Checker

• Click Start, enter cmd.exe in the Search box, right-click on cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator.
  • Type the following command and hit ENTER:
sfc /SCANNOW
  • After the scan is finished, you will see one of three things:
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.
  • If you see either of the two latter messages, please immediately enter the following command:
findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"
  • Then, attach sfcdetails.txt, which is found on your Desktop, in your next reply.

Edited by bwv848, 15 September 2017 - 10:19 PM.

#7 Teague

Teague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 10:50 AM

With the sfc /SCANNOW, I had the 1st option, but I give you the file anyhow.

The only disk that got checked was the C ( OS ) disk.

I tried this aswell, and I have stress test it now for a hour and it works for now

Click on Command Prompt (Admin).

Type the following into the elevated Command Prompt and then press Enter:

bcdedit /set useplatformclock false

But want to know if it safe?

Attached Files

Edited by Teague, 16 September 2017 - 12:38 PM.

#8 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 09:44 PM

Click on Command Prompt (Admin).

Type the following into the elevated Command Prompt and then press Enter:

bcdedit /set useplatformclock false

But want to know if it safe?

That command disables the use of the platform clock as the system's performance counter. Where did you get that advice from?

#9 Teague

Teague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 01:00 PM

I got it from this site.

https://appuals.com/computer-hangslags-when-downloading-from-steam/

I should have better consulted with you before I did this. But it was late and I rushed it. 

Sorry my fault!

Should I turn it back on with bcdedit /set useplatformclock true?

Edited by Teague, 17 September 2017 - 02:27 PM.

#10 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:13 PM

If you problem(s) are now resolved, just leave the system alone.

Regards,

bwv848

#11 Teague

Teague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:08 PM

Problem isn't solved.

I set it back to true again.

This also happens when I'm downloading, exact same problem. 

That's why I thought it maybe help.

#12 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:25 PM

Sorry to hear that. As I asked before, could you please be more descriptive regarding what "crash" you get? Is it a BSOD? Do you see a "Stop Working" message? Or does your internet just go out? You need to more specific please — it's hard to diagnose a problem when you don't know what you're dealing with.

#13 Teague

Teague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:30 PM

Internet stops working, I have only connection to Wifi, I see ( when the Wifi works ) 4 wifi signals. When the internet stops working, it can't find any networks. It says I'm connected, but there's no internet and no Wifi signals. It keeps on searching with no succes to find any signals. Task manager also stops working, it freeze up.

There's no message of some sort. It's a hard to explain problem. I try my best to explain it. My disk also stops working, but I can still play video.

#14 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:49 PM

Does the system respond to inputs when the internet freezes? For example, can you switch windows, open the Start Menu, etc.?

#15 Teague

Teague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 05:48 PM

I try to get the crash again. Try to do the things you ask when it happend. I will update it when it happens again

*Update*

I made it crash again.

Weird thing is my disk was still working, I could write files still. Don't know the reason about the disk crash then

Only internet crash

For the rest everything was working. Could do everything exept the internet got crashed and the programs who works with internet. Chrome went totally blank and got error "not responding", the not responding error I got also for the other programs. Also taskmanager freezes

I try to crash the disk again.

Ok, I made to crash the disk also now. Exact same things with internet crash but then also the disk crashed, I can't write, watch or audio from the disk. Everything what I want to do is slow responding. Tried to get in to control panel, it was really slow and I clicked on the system icon and it froze up.

I can open the start menu.

What is switch windows? Switch user account?

When I turned back my pc again. This file was using for a short while my whole CPU, WmiPrvSE.exe on task manager process called "WMI provider host ( 32 bit )"

Edited by Teague, 20 September 2017 - 04:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users