Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange experience with Malwarebytes Pro

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cooljay

cooljay

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:14 PM

For the second time within a month the live protection part turned itself off and couldn't be turned on.

The first time I reinstalled it and activated it with my key. No problems.

However, the second time this happened (yesterday), something went terribly wrong. The file I was able to download had the same edition number but said in addition "consumer". I have never seen such a thing in a software you download. But I was freaked out because just earlier MBAM had averted my going to a malicious website, and on top of it I had computer problems with my VPN (unable to connect) so I felt super vulnerable and kind of frantic. I downloaded the "consumer" version of MBAM and guess what - it was nowhere to be found. Disappeared into the ether.

Meanwhile my connection problems with VPN were driving me nuts and I decided to do a System Restore. It helped in that I was immediately able to use my VPN again, but now I am still faced with the strangeness of MBAM. I don't trust it anymore.

Apparently a few years ago the company went through some changes. I know this site uses MBAM as part of its arsenal to help people with infected computers. But there are also people on here who are suspicious of MBAM. I was wondering if they could chime in here and name some alternatives. (Yes, I can google this, and I have, but I put more trust in first hand experience of people who actually tried those tools.)

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:56 AM

Emsisoft is a popular alternative......See this BleepingComputer link: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/emsisoft-anti-malware/

My past experience with it was trouble free, although I currently run Malwarebytes.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,264 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:22 PM

Malwarebytes is a trustworthy company. Some of the employees involved with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware product development, research and technical support are well known security experts who have volunteered their personal time to assist victims of malware infection long before their program was created. They still stay personally involved with helping victims on Internet forum boards as well as provide individual support services to users of their products. This means they are personally tuned into the day to day analysis of active malware and any reported issues with their software so they are able to respond quickly to them. I also know and trust many of the folks associated with Malwarebytes.

With that said, if you are looking for an alternative...Emsisoft Anti-Malware, as noted by saw101, is an excellent choice but you should remove your existing anti-virus first since it uses two scanning engines, combining its technology with Bitdefender Anti-Virus.

Zemana AntiMalware and RogueKiller Anti-malware free are also trustworthy alternatives. Zemana is a cloud-based second opinion malware scanner that provides real-time and ransomware protection similar to Malwarebytes.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 cooljay

cooljay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 10:50 AM

Thanks to both of you.

On the subject of Zemana - I have installed and used it through BleepingC but then uninstalled it. The System Restore I mentioned brought Zemana back, but get this: It is running at full speed even though the free trial has expired. It is using as I type this, 372,568 KB. BUT - when I try to stop it, I am unsuccessful because of this error message: Access Denied.

When I try to uninstall through Control Panel I am told it doesn't exist. My guess is there are remnants in the registry? But enough remaining to run? But why would it run since it doesn't scan anything anymore unless I buy it? I tried to make it scan to see what would happen and it refuses to do so. I don't know what to make of it.

I am also having trouble uninstalling SeaMonkey. It too came back after the System Restore. There is absolutely no way to get rid of the damn thing. When I looked at permissions, I saw that it has special parent permission that even in Admin mode I cannot undo.

I am so sick of this laptop. I would go out right now and buy a new one but it's not in my budget.

Also, System Restore deleted my bookmarks from the day forward of the restore date. That is not supposed to happen either, is it? I located to file with the last date before SR but it appears to be empty.

Is BitDefender a viable option? I am right now looking at FREE alternatives. I do have Panda.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,264 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 12:32 PM

There are ongoing discussions in these topics where Authorized Zemana Reps (ida15, Valinorum) can answer questions about any issues with Zemana.

Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition certainly is a viable option when looking for a free anti-virus solution. Panda Cloud Antivirus is free as well as Kaspersky Free Antivirus and Sophos Home Free Antivirus.

The correct way to remove most programs is from within its program group Uninstall shortcut in Start Menu > All Programs or by using Apps & features in Windows 10 or Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) in Control Panel.

If there are issues with removal, sometimes you have to reinistall the program, then try uninstalling again.

#6 cooljay

cooljay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 02:29 PM

Thanks Quietman. In case you forgot, Zemana, even though I see it with my own eyes in Control Panel where it lists all the programs and you can usually uninstall things, the Uninstall option does not work. It is telling me that the program doesn't exist.

And yes, I right clicked in the Start menu to find an Uninstall option of those programs but they don't come with it.

As far as SeaMonkey - did you actually READ my post? This exchange is fruitless and a waste of time since you only offer solutions I said I already tried.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,264 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 05:16 PM

Yes I read your posting. I only reiterated the correct procedure for uninstalling software for the benefit of all members/guests who read your topic....there are 222 views.

Then I followed up with the suggestion to reinstall, then try uninstalling again. Doing that usually corrects issues with missing or damaged files & registry entries required for the uninstall to work correctly. And it is the easiest thing to try first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users