Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for help reading handwritten impression

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hammuh

Hammuh

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:37 PM

Hello,

I'm a bookseller and I have an 1894 diary with impressions on one page where the ink (or possibly gouache) is gone.  I've posted the original, as well as my attempts at editing to see the impression a bit better, here:  https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8_ZFl6GPfdcWUN6c203UlM0TTQ?usp=sharing   I use GIMP as a photo editor and have played with the different color tools and some of the enhancement tools but can't seem to do much better.

I'd be grateful for any assistance.

Thank you.

Adam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,209 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:23 PM

Now that is a challenge !

I can see there is something there which seems to be impressed into the paper (?) vellum(?).  I think I would try flash photography with the flash coming at a very oblique angle to the surface. Camera on a tripod set carefully perpendicular to the paper or whatever it is with the flash connected by cable so that you can change the angle readily.

It would take a bit of experimentation but I think a very flat flash angle would produce at least most of a legible image. It is at least worth a try.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Hammuh

Hammuh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:39 AM

Hi Chris,

Thank you very much for responding.  The paper is rigid card stock.  The creator used gouache for the title lettering on the cover, and I wonder if he or she started something similar on this side of the sheet and the gouache is either gone, or something else is there.  I feel like I can see the word "California", which would be totally appropriate as this is a journal of a trip from Scranton, PA to California.  If I can figure out the person's name from these impressions, there's a chance I can learn who he or she was, which can significantly affect its value.  Simply learning that it's a woman would probably raise the price by about 25%.

I will experiment with your suggestions when I take my next round of photos, probably in the next week or so, and report back.

Again, many thanks.

Adam

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,209 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:03 PM

Ah, Scranton PA !  Famous in Harry Chapin's song '30,000 lbs of bananas' and infamous in James Blish's 'Cities in Flight' series of novels !

Yes, please lt me know if you get anything by photography.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Hammuh

Hammuh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:34 AM

Hi Chris,

Just wanted to update you that I tried, and failed, this past Friday.  In brighter news, I sold it!  :bounce:

Thank you again for your time.

Adam

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,209 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:42 PM

Bad news / Good news !

So long asyou made a profit on the deal, but it's the sort of situation that leaves a nag of annoyance .

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users