Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer's erratic behaviour - Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 compbuff

compbuff

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:21 PM

Hi,

I recently found my Windows Explorer working erratically at random times. I would use Windows explorer and it would be fine normally unless I was spending lengthy amount of time with an open folder in Windows explorer and opening another WIndows for a different folder and copying, moving or saving new or current files from other folders and/or from new pdf files saved for example and it would usually start to act behave erratically which could occur after an hour or more when I would suddenly right click to save or perhaps move a file and then it would start highlight in grey or black that part the cursor right clicked and suddenly another, and then I might try closing it and when it re-opened the same behaviour would occur again. If I tried continuing doing so it would get to the point where the cursor for Windows explorer just goes round and round continuously or just freezes and won't close and I have to restart my computer. 

I have scanned my laptop using my own security tools, Avast Premier and Malwarebytes Anti-malware, as well as the online security scanners Panda Cloud Cleaner and ESET online scanner. None of those found any issues. I then ran sfc /scannow and no integrity violations or issues showed up. I then also ran Windows Memory diagnostic test which showed not issues with my RAM. 

I have attached two files showing examples of what happens, and would appreciate any help and advice on what I could do to fic the issue.

Kind regards

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,437 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:12 PM

If this problem did indeed start recently have you tried doing a system restore to before the date it started ?  Depending on whether or not you have the 1703 Creators' update installed it is either 'Win key+X - Control panel - Recovery' or 'Win key - Settings - System - Control panel - Recovery'.

Once you get to 'Recovery' start the 'Restore' process but pick a date that is from before the start of your problem. You will get a warning that this is irreversible, just accept the warning and continue the restore and let it finish before you try to do anything else.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:57 AM

@Chris

This computer is running Windows 8.1, the Creators update (1703) is for Windows 10.  The only use for it in Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 is as a starting point to upgrade to Windows 10.

How to Upgrade to Windows 10 Version 1709 or 1703 (Fall Creators - Microsoft Community

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,437 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:06 PM

Oops !

That's twice in a fortnight I have mistaken which section I am in !  I must try harder !

Apologies.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:36 AM

I would tell you that this has never happened to me, but I know that there would be a bolt of lightning headed my way for lying like this. :hysterical:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 compbuff

compbuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:24 AM

Sorry I never replied to this post. I had resolved the issue not long after posting at the time and had no further right-click issues in explorer until now, and of a rather unusual one I have not had before. Meanwhile I am going through the usual security checks and running system file checker and exhausting all other options to see if I solve the problem before I start a new post should I be unable to resolve it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users