Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dodging a phishing attack is not that simple.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 carlson33

carlson33

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:14 PM

Hi,

I have been hearing a lot about targeted phishing attacks on large companies. I was researching what I can do to make my staff more aware about phishing.

I found a simple questionnaire created by Intronis on this IT security blog https://www.resolutets.com/cybersecurity-has-your-business-adopted-it-security-solutions-to-safeguard-data/ to check how prone are the employees to phishing attacks.

I thought it was easy to dodge a phishing attack. It doesn't seem so after attempting this quiz!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:32 PM

That quiz itself could be used as a great educational tool in a group setting, where people give their answer and why they gave it, before the actual answer is revealed.

I got 7 of 9, and the two I missed I was "more conservative" than the quiz maker.  I thought that question 6 was at least mildly deceptive because people need to be able to recognize that "weird popups" can occur anywhere and, when they do, they're a huge red flag.  They're separate from the "link to a legitimate website."  I also wouldn't trust any link just because it has https:// in it (Question 8).  Link spoofing was shown earlier in the quiz, and you can use https:// as part of spoofed click-through text that makes a URL look like something it's not.

I guess I've been around the block way too many times now, but virtually everything in that quiz was an obvious "no brainer" to me.  I realize, though, that this is the case because I have learned about each and every one of the things shown over the course of decades, and many people haven't, and would not be inclined to give much of this a second thought.  They should, and the quiz does a good job of highlighting what and why.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#3 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:16 PM

I got 6 out of nine, which gave a score of 66%. Off the bat, on the first question, I didn't see PayPal as (nevermind) Either a security lapse here or a reading glasses upgrade needed. On another question, correct answer chosen but the test recommended two of the choices would have been better (I think both a and d). Oh well. Never have taken a bite from phish bait so far.
Very good and educational test for anyone to take.

Edit: Nevermind is removal of spoiler for anyone here wanting to take the test.

Edited by r.a.d., 15 September 2017 - 05:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users