Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AV & Hack Concerns: Race Condition

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Blarp

Blarp

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:27 AM

Summary:  mostly just a general info request.  trying to see what to do for AV, race condition threats, setting up a new pc,  any methods to protect pc:  server & a security / virtual environment:  how to do that,  virtual private networks ?

hi,  i have a tech background but am not super familiar with PC Security issues, but had taken the time to install a few items.

i have a quad core pc pending along with windows 7 ulitmate,  not sure how soon for those.. 1 or couple of months.

0.  any info on loading a new pc would be nice.  i know there can be alot of info there but i have made more than 1 file just on settings.

to mind:  changing any settings on routers to make them secure.

PROBLEM:

Problem i have seen when plugging in my dsl modem (router?) to internet, during initial connection my cpu would get jammed to 100%.  killing a runaway? svchost.exe in the task manager seemed to stop the run.  with other symptoms it would seem clear there was a real time hack/ person on the other end.

I wonder if this was something might call a "RACE CONDITION" hack.

Problem:  notice settings getting changed on pc,  not all now but:  audio drivers being turned off,  real time excel access (live person trashing a template file:  Excel10.xlb),  where could tell a person was accessing my pc.  joke seems to be that file is one of things someone has turned off to stop use of an excel version.

(would be a major problem but i made the file read only, and an open file.bat)

ANSWER:  ???  would really like some security for: 

1.  race condition hacks (part of multi threading?  read that it can be done wo that kind of pc)

2.  file protection:  Please !!  is there any way to block outgoing data / files.   

(NOTE:  i try to lock down all apps for firewall, security to 100% no cookies, etc)

i am currently using:  windows xp pro, spybot sd resident, private firewall 7, mbam antimalware, mbae anti exploit, swb spyware blaster, abp

for spybot sd, not sure why not see running:  TEA TIMER like used to, 

3.  i cannot have both spybot sd (settings? x) & tea timer?

4.  QUESTION:  i have not had an av program installed, but ran checks periodically.  is that a major problem.  (installing avg free av,  mbarw  anti ransomware).

i have not installed another resident item for av,  because of limited resources (ram),  it would seem that have low resources has benefited security in slowing access to pc down, funny as that may sound.

5.  is there a way to set up some kind of virtual environment for use as a (firewall?)  actually more as a place for a shell against a hacker?  if saying any of that right..  would be willing to set up a separate computer in a server network for that.

6.  vpn?  virtual private network suggestions or any along that line.  thanks in advance.

7.  how do i track & prosecute those problems.  is there a sofetware app for that?

Edited by hamluis, 14 September 2017 - 01:06 PM.
Moved from MRL to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 69,140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:20 PM

Hello. Whenever I see a svchost issue I request a deeper look. Please repost this info by doing steps 6 and 7.

Please follow this Preparation Guide and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well..
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users