Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iPhone X

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:33 AM

So, Apple launched their new iPhone 8 and iPhone 8+ smartphones (which are essentially iPhone 7S and iPhone 7S+) and their new flagship to compete with Samsung's Galaxy S8+, the iPhone X. I haven't yet seen any reviews, so here are my unbiased thoughts on the product.

The largest improvement, I think, is the new Apple A11 chip. The SoC is the fastest one in history and is faster than an Intel Core i7-6600U CPU, especially considering its optimization with iOS. It costs $1,149, but that price doesn't include neither AirPods (only normal EarPods), nor quick charging, for which you'd have to spend another $50+ to get the proper higher-wattage power brick. In terms of operating system, iOS is still king. However, I dislike that it too is starting to get somewhat bloated. For example, the newest iOS 11 comes at around 6GB, yet doesn't still have full Bulgarian language package. I also don't fancy the fact that iPhone X is sent to its home page via a bottom-to-top hand gesture, instead of a left-to-right one, which would've paid a nice homage to the original iPhone models, with which the new one shares a glass back design. Speaking of looks, Apple has really disappointed me with that aspect of its flagship! They are literally the richest company in the history of Democratic Capitalism, yet keep making silly decisions, I believe, when it comes to design. For example, I don't think that they should've rushed that phone so much. I think that the new one should've had a closer to 100% screen-to-body ratio with that camera cut-out at the top gone. I also think that they should've figured out how to remove the antenna lines from the sides as they are an eye sore. They should've removed the 2 volume buttons in their entirety and should've moved the power button to the bottom, but without it sticking out, but instead being able to be pressed in and remaining flush with the bottom of the phone when unpressed. Furthermore, they should've moved the SIM card tray to the bottom as well, so that the 2 sides and the top are completely clean - they are Apple, they could've figured it out; it's not that complicated, but instead they choose to present a new model yearly. The biggest design flaw, in my view, is the camera bump on the back, which makes the phone wiggle when put on a flat surface. It's just not pleasant to look at and doesn't become justified by the arguably excellent camera. When it comes to cameras, I am a fan of the new FaceID unlocking technology, it's interesting. I think Apple took the easy road when they came out with both the iPhone X and the iPhone 8 (and 8+), though. It's just not a bold move to insure yourself with a more tried out product, should the iPhone X fail for some reason. They should've dropped the iPhone 8 and just focused on the iPhone X. If anything were to be updated, it should've been the iPhone SE. Also, it would've been nice if we could see a 1TB flash storage, but they are sticking with the 256GB. Pretty much everything else about the smartphone is tremendous and better than the competition.

Ultimately, I don't think the iPhone X is worth it and I still don't think Apple has made a prettier smartphone than the iPhone 5S Space Grey. The new iPhone X comes at $1,149, which means that you could either have 10 iPhones or a brand new Nissan Versa. They should've placed it $50 lower, at $1,099 and included all the things that I've talked about. Even so, if you want the fastest smartphone ever, and one of the speediest computers of all time, you can't get wrong with the new iPhone X. :)

Here's the iPhone X!

design_hero_large.jpg

The Nissan Versa

2015-nissan-versa-sedan-first-drive-revi

If you haven't watched the keynote, here it is.

iPhone X Promo

Edited by Just_One_Question, 14 September 2017 - 09:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:53 AM

No doubt the Apple Cult will be rushing to the Apple Stores and surrendering the "latest and greatest" that they bought two months ago for the iPhone X.

I've got to give it to Apple as far as training their consumers!  [And I hasten to add that, as far as the smartphone market goes, other companies have done almost as well.  It is shocking to see people who've just spent hundreds of dollars on a smartphone (over $500, often significantly over) immediately rush to hand over another wad of cash the very moment the next model comes on the market.  Computer manufacturers would love to get that genie and release it from their bottles!]

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:57 AM

Also, people who buy brand new cars and I see them 5 months later on the 2nd-hand market with 3000 miles on them and a 30% reduction in price.:lmao:

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,369 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:17 AM

Back to the design elements on iPhone X (or any device, actually), I suggest you think about how well you like trying to get the optical drive tray to open on the vast majority of laptop computers where the button is perfectly flush with the main body.   For a great many of us, it isn't fun and often the source of cursing when you have to look directly at the tray so you can tell where the button is and (often) must use your fingernail to activate the button because your fingertip just flattens around it.

There are very good reasons for having what I refer to as "hard buttons" and having those buttons not entirely recessed.  Ease of use for frequent access being the main reason.

Sleek sure looks pretty, but I don't want to be fighting with my device.  Remember, form follows function.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

#5 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:32 AM

I was thinking more so that they could've made the entire small bottom left or right corner of the phone a button, which could be pushed in. I too find it hard to open the DVD-drive on a laptop these days.:)

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:16 PM

By the way, saying that the new iPhone X is the most powerful smartphone is an understatement. It's SoC, Apple's A11, is faster than any CPU that AMD has ever made in history, apart from just 7 processors - the 4 AMD Ryzen 5-series ones and the 3 AMD Ryzen 7-series ones. :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 14 September 2017 - 05:16 PM.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:57 AM

https://twitter.com/laurenelizlane/status/907997419010498560

PSA: The new iPhone costs $999.

The entire Cracker Barrel menu costs $887.71

...make smart choices.

nuff said:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,369 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:22 PM

By the way, saying that the new iPhone X is the most powerful smartphone is an understatement. It's SoC, Apple's A11, is faster than any CPU that AMD has ever made in history, apart from just 7 processors - the 4 AMD Ryzen 5-series ones and the 3 AMD Ryzen 7-series ones. :)

And that should (or would) matter to the vast majority of smartphone users in precisely what way?

The endless cycle of increases in processing power is, of course, a side effect of constantly increasingly sophisticated processor design and the ability to keep making same smaller and smaller.

I doubt that the vast majority of smartphone users come anywhere close to using the processing power that was available generations ago on smartphones.

This is all nothing but marketing hype that does nothing of real value except for the small minority of power users of smartphones.  But marketing hype works.

I am endlessly advising clients, after asking them about their intended use for computers they're going to buy, and getting answers of the, "Just for web browsing and e-mailing, maybe some word processing," class to stop looking at top of the line machines.  For that class of user they are a gross waste of money.  Fit your tool to the task with, perhaps, depending on whether you think you'll honestly be branching into more processing intensive computer tasks, a bit of "breathing room" in the capability of the CPU/APU.   Most folks are not doing anything at all that comes close to maxing out the processing power of even low-end machines these days.  The same is true in the smartphone realm as well.  [Memory, however, is a different issue altogether.  Particularly for the "picture and video happy" who never download and erase anything from their phones.]

#9 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:37 PM

PSA: The new iPhone costs $999.

The entire Cracker Barrel menu costs $887.71

Also, you can buy this beat up, but mechanically sound, 1988 BMW E34 for the $999 base price of the iPhone X, just for the heck of it. :lmao:

15876996o.jpg

15877027o.jpg

15877031o.jpg

And that should (or would) matter to the vast majority of smartphone users in precisely what way?

Well, since the iPhone or any smartphone for that matter is a computer, I consider its main and most important feature the one that computes - the CPU; everything else helps with it, but is not fully essential. It is also the part that sets Apple's product apart the most in any regard from their competition, as they are constantly making tremendous progress with their chips. It is also quite impressive that they've managed to increase the iPhone's computing power, yet also prolong battery life. Anyone can clearly tell from your comment that you've worked in the industry for quite a while, Brian, because you are keeping the average customer in mind when thinking about the iPhone X and its specs, whereas I only put myself in the shoes of trying to value the new iPhone, so I am thinking about it as if the potential buyer wouldn't have any previous ownership of an Apple device and wouldn't replace this phone in 5 to 10 years. In this sense, I like the increased CPU power for future-proofing, which is more important with iDevices, since they tend to get support and be kept for upwards of half a decade usually, and also for being able to push your phone to the limit if you are, let's assume, some kid who is presented with the new iPhone X and wants to play some silly, but super-demanding, game and so on. But it's true what you have said - the majority of people I've seen having an iPhone mainly use it for Facebook, YouTube, reading articles, browsing and games. Also, the bump in processing speed earns, I guess, bragging rights among techy guys who'd buy it and want the very best in terms of SoC when spending $999+. By the way, as I've said in the original post, I would've loved if Apple really pushed the boundaries and came out with a 1TB fast flash internal storage, but even so, find it interesting that the whole cloud-craze seems to have worn off. I remember reading articles some time ago how pretty much all hard-drive and such companies are bound to become extinct in the next 15 years, as everything would be moved and done in the cloud. And because of that I am surprised, kinda, that people still store everything locally and not on someone else's computer. :)

The iPhone X is a nice phone, maybe even, depending on whether you want more customization or not and if you like its looks, the best one ever, but I still think that Apple cut quite a few corners. A worthy opponent to the Samsung Galaxy S8+ nonetheless. But I just wanted more...

Edited by Just_One_Question, 15 September 2017 - 07:13 PM.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,369 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:51 PM

Well, I keep "the target demographic" (or demographics) in mind when thinking and talking about any product.

It seems that most folks who have top of the line phones (and I include the Samsung Galaxy S7 I was kindly given in that sphere) never even come close to using the computing power that the devices are capable of because they generally use them for (probably in this order):  texting, phoning, web surfing, and game playing.

The first three things are extremely low stress on a CPU and the last, for the kinds of games on most phones, is not something that requires the kind of processor that's in an iPhone X.   Even streaming isn't all that processor intensive.

The biggest limitations I have seen with regard to smartphones are far more storage space driven (or the lack thereof) than processor driven, and with the advent of 512 GB microSDXC cards (and certain to get larger as time goes by) storage space is becoming readily available cheaply.

Then again, and I'll openly admit it, I have always thought that Apple products are really grossly overpriced for what you get.  They're well made (at least generally) but I can get the same performance or better, usually from several other makers, on alternative platforms that parallel Apple's flagship in "category X" for far less money.  I can also customize it to my taste rather than being forced to become one with the borg.

Edited by britechguy, 15 September 2017 - 06:52 PM.

#11 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:59 PM

The only times I've seen someone use up and subsequently slow down an iPhone was this old roommate of mine who never.closed.anything. :lmao: There were apps on his phone that remained cached in memory from like 2 months ago, so a simple restart was all it took for his device to regain its processing ability.

I personally have never filled up a larger amount than what my first computer ever allowed for - 80GB. It is because I rarely store a lot of things on a computer, or in life, in general, so storage has never been a problem for me. But I can see how that is important for many people with the ever so media-rich Internet content, especially increasingly more common 4K video clips (BTW, Apple were kind enough to update all videos that you've bought from iTunes, should you wish so, to 4K quality, now that they fully support it, free of charge).

Yes, the smartphone market is becoming pretty matured, so they are offerings for lots of individual requisites. In my mind, in the category of flagships that tend to have it all (whatever 'all' means as of right now) I only put at the very top this new iPhone X and the Samsung Galaxy S8+, with the Galaxy having a slightly upper-hand. The rest of the phones are all great, but not as much. If someone pressed a gun to my head, gave me $1200 and told me that I must get a smartphone to use everyday, I'd still go for that new iPhone X, because the most important thing that I am looking for is speed of simple computations without multitasking, which the iPhone has always been best at due to its in-house developed CPU, especially the new one, combined with its streamlined iOS, and since this is an imaginary situation, why not go for the best in this category. In real life though, I much more value also price and looks and the iPhone doesn't meet me there, so that's why it receives an unfavorable mark from me. Still, I like that even though Apple products' price-tags are kept premium, they have been lowering them at an inflation-adjusted basis for 15+ years now, cutting into their margins, culminating with the $349 iPhone SE. If they had met my requirements for the iPhone X, included all the things that I've talked about, such as the AirPods and the faster charger, and further dazzled me in some other way, the iPhone X would have been a sweet deal for $999, but not in its current iteration and for ~$1200+. :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 15 September 2017 - 08:02 PM.

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,369 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:13 PM

P.S.:  I'm old enough to remember More, More, More when it first became a hit.  I do believe that it was the Andrea True Connection's only one, too.

I really don't care about anything above and beyond what I need or want, and that generally means that I use.  I guess I'm odd that way.

#13 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:35 PM

You're not odd, no worries. I too don't even have a smartphone anymore and probably forever, but it depends. The No.1 reason I watched the keynote and read Apple's website and Wikipedia page was in order to see how do $100 billion in research potential at a tech company translates into real life. What I saw was some great advancements, but nothing super breathtaking, which is unfortunate. I've been waiting for the personal jetpack for so long now, lol.

Also, could someone for the love of God explain to me what is up with people constantly wohoo-ing at random times during the event and being silent at times that I've thought were more deserving of their devalued wohoo? For example, people seemed to love the animojis, but didn't react all that much to the new SoC, which, as you said, is an overkill, but at least impressive to me, as to how did they manage to cram so much power into such little footprint.:lmao:

In terms of the tech sector, I am waiting for the next big thing, beyond simple upgrades - I'm talking the new TV, car, train, airplane, vacuum cleaner, phone or just something game-changing with its presence. But that takes time. I am not all that knowledgeable, but if I had to place my bets, I'd probably say that the next biggie would be when they absolutely perfect virtual reality to Avatar completely immersive levels. As of right now, though, from the few times I've tried it, it's pretty bad, to say the least. I don't feel at all in another world, but just as if someone is projecting a 3D movie on my glasses (if I was wearing glasses).:)

#14 sampe

sampe

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 01 October 2017 - 05:51 PM

I am currently using an iPhone 6 that is now a little over two years old. I would love to update to the iPhone X or iPhone 8, but still do not have any problems with my iPhone 6. There are just so many improvements with this line of iPhones, from processing power to the camera.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users