Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hard drive at 100% almost always...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 glennnall

glennnall

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:10 AM

I inherited a Samsung laptop (305E4A/305E5A/305E7A 05QU) that's a few years old. It has 4G ram, a 2.3G dual core AMD processor and a 500G 5400 rpm HD. And Windows 10 Home...

It "stalls" (just short of freezing completely) constantly, and when I view my task manager i see that my Disk is almost always at 100%, (even though the processes underneath it are all at, like, 3.8M/s (Kaspersky) and .6mb/s, .5mb/s, .1mb/s, .1mb/s, .1mb/s, .1mb/s, and then all 0's. I cannot see how these figures are adding up to 100% of my hard drive speed, but nevertheless...)

my CPU occasionally reaches 100% when my machine is dragging, but not nearly as often. 

I've surmised that this damn HD (it's a Seagate ST500LM012 HN-M500MBB) is bottlenecking my tasks and programs, and have purchased a Seagate SSHD (can't afford an SSD) 5400rpm harddrive - which is in the mail.

I'm posting to ask if someone could kindly tell me if, a) it's possible i'm correct and a new SSHD, even though it's also 5400rpm, could or should help, or B) i'm way off base. 

also, will a 5400rpm hybrid drive be that much faster than a 5400rpm mechanical drive?

Kind regards and great thanks,

GN

Edited by glennnall, 14 September 2017 - 12:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:35 AM

First, remove Kaspersky (forever) and then we can look what can do next.
Very likely, everything becomes much better if you have restored normal Windows.

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:30 PM

First, remove Kaspersky (forever) and then we can look what can do next.
Very likely, everything becomes much better if you have restored normal Windows.

lol, you don't need to remove kaspersky.

you probably have some malware/adware issues going on,  start off my downloading rkill, JRT (junkware removal tool), adwcleaner and malwarebytes all in the download section of this website.

run rkill first, then run the others then post the results, if they ask you to quarantine or remove infections go ahead and do so.

#4 glennnall

glennnall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:58 PM

Thanks folks. Since posting my win explorer went belly up so havent been able to reply. Sermd i may have had some malware. Just reformated so well see.

Add apostrophes and commas on your own.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:12 PM

Another possible issue is that you have 4GB of RAM and your machine is constantly caching.  My work machine, when it had 4GB of RAM, would say that I had 1GB available all of the time, but was constantly writing to the drive.  My standard open software is two IE instances (one tab), Chrome (two tabs), Outlook, OneNote and Remote Desktop Connection Manager, nothing major, but it will constantly 3.6GB of RAM while idle.

#6 adamsleath

adamsleath

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:21 AM

more ram.

also there is a possibility of a malware...i recently had this happen to me (100% cpu usage all the time!!).  i just used a windows restore point to rollback to a pre-infected state.  worked perfectly.

i have 16bg ram. and quad core.  more ram would definitely help you aswell.  8gb is the bare minimum.

my mother has an amd dual core with 4gb ram..it is painfully slow and writes to the hdd almost constantly....she barely uses it though so....i should do her a favour and get her some more ram :D

open your laptop at the back find your ram dimms note down the specs google it buy 8gb...  if u have 2 of 4 slots free youre lucky..

Edited by adamsleath, 17 September 2017 - 05:27 AM.

#7 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:32 PM

yeah windows 10 and 4GB is not enough now, upgrade to at least 8GB and you'll notice a big difference.   check cost maybe it's worth just going all the way to 16GB.

#8 glennnall

glennnall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:51 PM

to everyone who replied: thanks so much for your various suggestions and your advice.

here's what has transpired since:

the day after I posted this, my Windows Explorer began crashing on boot up. kept me from getting to Safe Mode until I installed a second copy of Win10... which only worked long enough to get to Safe Mode and then it, too, broke. I guess I had a virus, but it turns out that that was not my slow Windows problem.

I wiped my 5400 Seagate completely, reinstalled, and it ran, albeit at its slothful pace. Remember, my RAM was rarely being taxed, only my HD was mostly at 100% - Kilroy's suggestion that my RAM constantly caching and taxing my HD sounded good - until my new WD SSHD (5400) arrived...

yay. I installed it, reinstalled Windows, and my machine runs much faster, more smoothly. Mechanical (at  least the 5400rpm) HDs are apparently to be the next victims of the constant technological advances, huh...

I realize i still need more RAM - my processor is also quite obsolete (2.3G dual core AMD), so I'll be buying a new laptop before I invest in more parts.

thanks again for all your responses. Nice to see a forum where people actually do. ;)

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:07 PM

I was replacing multiple hard drives a week when the company I was working for had only 4GB of RAM on Windows 7.  Once we started getting the machines with 8GB of RAM hard drive replacements became a once a month or less problem.  Nothing will kill a drive faster than constantly caching to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users