Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC acting weird, corrupt files, and multiple files, including COM surrogates

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Mysticus

Mysticus

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:58 PM

Hello, any help would be fine. I have been trying to figure out why my computer has been acting so weird, not long ago I had to Factory Reset my PC three times but thought the last one got rid of the problem. I am not the smartest with PCs but I know my machines messed up. I have installed many antivirus, anti-malware, and ad-ware products including some from you guys on this website but they have not found a problem at that time so I thought things was ok, until recently.

I have noticed it seemed with the more my PC's "Windows Update" updated my Laptop, the more weirder my PC seemed to be, which I expected a LITTLE bit of that.

However, when it first started messing up (before I started restoring) it became a bit glitchy, and was running really slow. I tried using my antivirus at the time which was AVAST!, and malwarebytes but they said all was clean. Then my computer started getting the blue screens of death and had to use the startup restore setting, since I was afraid it would keep the problem if I just used the refresh option...

It seemed to work for a little bit, then I noticed I could not reinstall any antivirus/malware software but could get other things back. So I proceeded to try one more time.

IT has been nearly a month and now I seem to be back where I started although I can install antivirus and stuff, they still say there is no problem so I been trying all I could find to figure out from other  antivirus programs to see if they could.

I try not to go on any website I do not know, nor do I download things from bad website. 

I used to have one COM Surrogate appear in my taskman that i never saw, but it would disappear after a few seconds without me doing anything. Now there are always two and sometimes three that popup, although when there are three one COM Surrogate never closes with the other two.

Then I started seeing other multiple name files. When I click on them they say they are trusted and part of windows and are in the System32 folder.

But those are the only ones I see. Then i found something called sfc/scannow that I didnt think I ran before so i gave it a go and it said i had corrupted files and it could not repair them.

So i am pretty sure i have something wrong with my machine. any help would be nice, i dont really have the cash to buy a new laptop or to get it looked at :(

thank you :)

[Im sorry i forgot to include that my PC is an HP Laptop with windows 8.1 with BING 64bit]

Now i keep getting a "Network change detected" on my Chrome, then it loads the page after a few seconds.

Edited by hamluis, 07 October 2017 - 09:08 AM.
Moved from Win 8 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:52 AM

It is strongly recommended that you run only one antivirus program at a time. Having more than one antivirus program active in memory uses additional resources and can result in program conflicts and false virus alerts. If you choose to install more than one antivirus program on your computer, then only one of them should be active in memory at a time.

Please open the Command Prompt a a administrator and execute following command:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Above command uses Windows Update service to restore Windows OS corrupted system files.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy,  taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course): p22004369.gif

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot. You will see the following prompt:

p22004371.gif

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

p22004372.gif

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the Add Reply button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Send below the Reply box.

Posted Image

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:56 AM

IMPORTANT NOTE: Using more than one anti-virus program is not advisable. Why? The primary concern with doing so is due to Windows resource management and significant conflicts that can arise especially when they are running in real-time protection mode simultaneously. Even if one of them is disabled for use as a stand-alone on demand scanner, it can affect the other and cause conflicts. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up regardless of whether real-time protection is enabled or not. Thus, using multiple anti-virus solutions can result in kernel mode conflicts causing system instability, catastrophic crashes, slow performance and waste vital system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, each anti-virus may try to update their definition databases at the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Mysticus

Mysticus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:18 PM

I seemed to have written wrong how I used alot of antivirus software, I would uninstall one before using the other. never at the same time. Unless they conflicted with windows defender. im not too familiar with it. Which most of the antivirus was free and i said they didnt include firewall unless i bought it. so i kept windows defender.

I tried using that dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

But the command prompt gave me  

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

Version: 6.3.9600.17031

Error: 87

The online/cleanup-image/restorehealth option is unknown.
For more information, refer to the help by running DISM.exe /?.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Is that normal?

The Speccy link is 

Edited by Mysticus, 14 September 2017 - 05:19 PM.

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:39 AM

You must have type the command wrong don't forget to add spaces use the batch script attached to this post.

You are running SUPERAntiSpyware and Windows defender at same time please disable one of them.

Attached Files

• Attached File  Dism.bat   841bytes   4 downloads

Posted Image

#6 Mysticus

Mysticus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:53 AM

Thank you for your help i am running your attached file, so far it seems to just tell me the versions but stay blank. I will let it run and see if it does anything and tell you the results.

[i removed my antispyware]

Edited by Mysticus, 15 September 2017 - 02:53 AM.

#7 Mysticus

Mysticus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:19 AM

Ok i let it run for a little bit but it is not doing anything but telling me 

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.3.9600.17031

Image Version: 6.3.9600.17031

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:22 AM

Please let it run.

Posted Image

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:26 AM

In order to be sure the DISM command is run properly please do the following.

Press the Windows key windows-key.png and the R key to open the Run box.

Type cmd in the Run box, then press Ctrl+Shift+Enter, this will open the Command Prompt as an Administrator.

Copy and Paste the command below in the Command Prompt.  If you copy and paste the command there will not be any typographic errors.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:29 AM

You must have type the command wrong don't forget to add spaces use the batch script attached to this post.

You are running SUPERAntiSpyware and Windows defender at same time please disable one of them.

Why are you suggesting that one of the two programs be disabled?

SUPERAntispyware should not interfere with any antivirus or other security software.

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:32 PM

SUPERAntiSpyware is a software application which can detect and remove spyware, adware, trojan horses, rogue security software, computer worms, rootkits, ...

Posted Image

#12 Mysticus

Mysticus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:43 PM

i let your attached file run again, the results never changed.

dc3 i copied and pasted in admin cmd but the results was the same as well. 

:(

Edit: i will try to let it run for a few hours and see if it changes lol.

Edited by Mysticus, 15 September 2017 - 12:55 PM.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:55 PM

SUPERAntiSpyware is a software application which can detect and remove spyware, adware, trojan horses, rogue security software, computer worms, rootkits, ...

I'm well aware of what SUPERAntispyware is and does, this wasn't the point.  This program should not effect any other security apps running or installed at the same time.

#14 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:56 PM

It does same thing as Windows Defender so they may conflict.

Posted Image

#15 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:58 PM

OP hit Enter key see that will show the progress bar of Dism command.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users