Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer from Craigslist

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kilar302

Kilar302

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:49 PM

I'm looking into getting into PC gaming and heard from a friend to buy a cheap gaming PC of Craiglist to start since I can upgrade it down the line. I found one for $300 and it's includes everything from mouse and keyboard and it's ready to go. The issue is that I know zero things about pc gaming and was wondering if the following specs where worth $300 or am I getting scammed: Intel I3 2100 3.10ghz processor,8gb ram, dvd rw, AMD HD 6850 1gb graphics card, 680watt power supply and 500 gb storage. Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:40 PM

What are you looking to play?

I don't think you'd be happy with that machine.

This will play some games, but is very under powered for a gaming machine.  I want to say that is the video card I originally had in my machine when I build it five years ago.

The power supply is about the only thing in that machine, unless the storage is SSD, that would be up to par for a mid level gaming machine.

This Refurbished Gaming Machine is $100 more, but much better and looking at it you should be able to upgrade it in the future.  That's really the lowest price I could find for an actual gaming machine.   

#3 Kilar302

Kilar302
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:17 PM

I'm looking for something to start of and nothing to fancy, maybe play fallout New Vegas with a couple of mods and upgrade it later down the line if I feel more comfortable with investing more money

#4 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:45 PM

Old motherboards from a few years ago with processors not really adequate for the newest games are really not the best way to start...

A B350/R5-1600-based system would be a nice start, or, you could wait and evaluate 8600K/8700K performance in a few weeks...; the 7700K is still a bit steep in price, but does well in all games, but, requires a cooler, adding expense...

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users