Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BackUp Storage is Full...but it shouldn't be

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sheldonofosaka

sheldonofosaka

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:21 PM

First of all, sorry if this question is not in the right section. Basically, I've recently purchased a 1TB external hard drive "My Passport"; the problem is it seems to quadruple back up everything, so although I only have about 250GB of information on my PC (windows 10) It is already full as it backs up everything in 4 different locations.

I'm just wondering how I should set it so it doesn't back up in this manner.

Best Regards, Sheldon

Edited by hamluis, 08 October 2017 - 11:26 AM.
Moved from All Other Apps to Backup/Disk Mgmt - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:13 PM

How are you doing these back-ups ?

I have the 2TB version of the same drive (and another by Seagate) and the first thing I did with both was move their own software to my software storage folder on my computer then delete it off the two external drives. After that I move everything I want to back up from the desktop to these two drives with Windows Explorer. I use Macrium Reflect to clone my C:\ drive from time to time but that is to a different drive. It is certainly possible that I have the odd duplicated file here and there but I certainly don't have my data in quadruplicate, there isn't room for that.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 sheldonofosaka

sheldonofosaka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:34 PM

I'm doing it with WD backups, it's set to daily backups, so if I download new files they get backed up. The thing is while the drive is plugged in, it under My Passport  (I:) ...but there are two of them, so everything is doubled. then when you actually go into the drive there are two copies of everything in each drive. I deleted a whole section in one drive....and it ended up deleting  everything from the other drive too.

I think it simply has to do with the way I've configured, but I'm not very knowledgeable and am not sure how to reconfigure it, without losing everything which I've backed up?

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:57 PM

Do you have a copy of the User Manual for this drive ?  If you don't, go to the WD web-site and look for My Passport Ultra' and 'User manual'.

I 've just had a look at it and as I understand it when you first set up a back-up system it will do a full backup of everything you put in the include list, but after that it should do an 'incremental' back-up at the appointed time. That means it just saves new files and changed files. And I am reasonably sure you don't work with every file on your system every day.

I don't understand your "under my passport (I:) ... but there are two of them". I suspect you are being misled by the way File Explorer presents things in Win 10. I suggest that you RIGHT click on one of the entries in File Explorer and then select 'Properties' in the pop-up menu. This will give you both the numbers and a graphical representation of exactly how much space is being used in the drive.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 sheldonofosaka

sheldonofosaka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:39 PM

Chris, thanks so much for your help!! I believe your right the two (I:) drives are mirrors of each other, it shows two but there are really only one.

Basically, I believe the problem was that I rename a lot of files and put them in different file folders, when my daily back up occurs this creates a duplicate leading to

my passport to be artificially full. I decided to simply go in and delete files I don't need. this seems to have solved the problem for the most part.

Please consider this problem resolved.

Thanks again for your attention!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users