Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 steals security programs.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 DraculaDarling

DraculaDarling

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:32 PM

My Malwarebytes & Spybot have disappeared.  Really miss the good old days with Windows 7.  Any ideas on how to get these back. They must still be in the system but the icons are gone and Cortana sends me to the web to buy new apps.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:42 PM

My Computer > Local Disk C > Program Files

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:55 PM

Right click the start button. Choose Programs and Features. See if they are listed in the currently installed list.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 4,572 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:13 PM

Or hit WinKey+R and enter shell:appsfolder.  If they're installed on your system they'll show up in the explorer window, and you can create a new shortcut from there.

I have not had Windows 10 remove Malwarebytes (any version) since it first came out.  I haven't used Spybot in ages, but I think it remained on my system even during the original upgrade to Windows 10.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1703, Build 15063

". . . American business has yet to learn how to measure the productivity and effectiveness of professional and technical employees.  As a result, employees who get little done, but spend a lot of time doing it, are often rewarded more than those who fulfill or exceed job requirements while keeping reasonable hours.
     A job that routinely requires 60 to 80 hours per week is mismanaged, understaffed, or staffed with the wrong person.  A badly managed firm isn't a good place for men or women, parents or not."  ~ Sophie M. Korczyk

#5 DraculaDarling

DraculaDarling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:03 PM

Three helpful messages - showed me new ways to reach the full list but, alas, those two programs have disappeared. Interestingly, I wen to an attached external drive which carries my recovered data from a crashed hard drive and there found both programs which I picked up several years ago and which are now obsolete - but not the two I've had this year.  We had a power outage a week ago while I was online - maybe that gobbled up these two programs - but nothing else seems missing or affected.  Tomorrow I'll contact the Geek Squad and let them get into my system.  Thanks guys, appreciate the help.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 4,572 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:22 AM

Why not just download and reinstall them again?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1703, Build 15063

". . . American business has yet to learn how to measure the productivity and effectiveness of professional and technical employees.  As a result, employees who get little done, but spend a lot of time doing it, are often rewarded more than those who fulfill or exceed job requirements while keeping reasonable hours.
     A job that routinely requires 60 to 80 hours per week is mismanaged, understaffed, or staffed with the wrong person.  A badly managed firm isn't a good place for men or women, parents or not."  ~ Sophie M. Korczyk

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:40 PM

Three helpful messages - showed me new ways to reach the full list but, alas, those two programs have disappeared. Interestingly, I wen to an attached external drive which carries my recovered data from a crashed hard drive and there found both programs which I picked up several years ago and which are now obsolete - but not the two I've had this year.  We had a power outage a week ago while I was online - maybe that gobbled up these two programs - but nothing else seems missing or affected.  Tomorrow I'll contact the Geek Squad and let them get into my system.  Thanks guys, appreciate the help.

Letting the Geek Squad touch your computer sounds like a very bad idea. Why don't you just reinstall them again?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 965 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:25 PM

>>>>  Tomorrow I'll contact the Geek Squad and let them get into my system.  <<<

Letting the Geek Squad touch your computer sounds like a very bad idea. Why don't you just reinstall them again?

I'm going to have to +1, +2, heck +100 on this - why would you ever let the Geek Squad touch anything in your house? Their reputation is....checkered, at best.

All that and, as Rocky points out, why not just reinstall?

one dollar minus 98 pennies =

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 4,572 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:55 PM

Not that I doubt the original poster (OP), but the only time I've ever seen Windows 10 "eat" programs was during the Windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10 upgrade process or, at least once, when going from one Version number to another, but I can't recall which, and it's at least a year or more ago.

It is not uncommon for Windows 10 to archive programs that their respective makers have not taken the effort to "mark" (for lack of a better term) as compatible with Windows 10 such that Windows 10 itself recognizes this.  For a very long while after the launch of Windows 10 many software makers simply didn't bother to do this and Windows 10 would archive these programs at every Version update.  That seems to be largely a thing of the past if one has current versions of programs that are stated to be compatible with Windows 10, but if they're old ones it could still happen.

In any case, it's easy to download and install Malwarebytes and Spybot Search & Destroy and to install them.

Not that I'm soliciting business, because I'm not, but I advise folks to avoid tech support departments that are "glommed on" to virtually any major retailer you can name.  The profit motive is just too strong and these enterprises are huge cash cows (not to mention they take work from independent techs such as myself, though there are plenty of those whose love of profit makes them suspect, too).  One should develop a relationship with a computer tech much like one develops a relationship with an automobile mechanic, hair stylist, etc.  Find a local one with whom you can work and where you trust them.

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:04 PM

britechguy, post #9 "One should develop a relationship with a computer tech much like one develops a relationship with an automobile mechanic, hair stylist, etc. Find a local one with whom you can work and where you trust them"

You're definitely right there in principle, it's just a shame that it can sometimes be a little tricky to find one in the first place, and more tricky for people who move around often. So often those tech support departments don't employ anyone who actually knows about technology but just people reading from a script, a script which is available on someone's(usually microsoft's given that it is usually about a windows OS) website anyway. Atleast to me it seems obvious that you need to be more careful with what is done to your computer than to your hair.

Personally I cut my own hair and sort my own computer problems, with the internet providing a useful repository of information and this site being for anything where I need to ask a question that can't be easily searched for.

DraculaDarling, I'm sure someone on here can show you through the installation process with a link to a video or step by step tutorial, to save you the cost and time of paying a company to do it.

Edited by rp88, 15 September 2017 - 12:04 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 4,572 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:10 PM

rp88:  You'd think that one's computer would be more critical than one's hair, but I can assure you that there are a very great many people for whom that is absolutely not true.  I know people who agonize over having to find a new hair stylist much more than finding a new doctor, mechanic, computer technician, or raft of other service providers.

There's a tiny part of me that gets this, as anything that has a direct impact on how you present yourself to the world, and over which you really don't have direct control, is stressful.  All it takes is one horrific cut/style, whether its on you or someone you know, to get a feel about how sensitive people (including other people) are about how you look.  [And everyone is, it's just a matter of what they're sensitive about.  Every person I know who says, "I don't give a flying rat's patootie about how I look or how others think of me!," can be found to be lying if the correct "soft underbelly" is found in their self-declared armor.]

#12 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:33 PM

To the OP (DD), re-downloading Malwarebytes would be easy, but first might consider using their tool, MB-Clean, to insure no remnants exist that, though you can't find them, might still reside somewhere.
https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1112
As for Spybot S&D, got rid of it years ago, and the consensus here is it's past its useful prime.

#13 DraculaDarling

DraculaDarling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:38 PM

Wow!  Thanks guys - am getting an education - I turn 90 in 2 days and education never stops. 

The reason I don't just download a new copy is twofold 1. I paid for it and don't like to pay for anything twice. 2. I want to get to the bottom of the problem.  Was it the power outage?  Was it Windows 10?  If the latter it could happen again. 

I'm stuck with Geek Squad for a year - a nice deal for them since I used them only a couple of times, they get $39 and change a month - only about three months left.  I've had no complaints about them for the basic service but should have made noise with Best Buy - They sold me an all-in-one HP and it swallowed up a CD.  Geek Squad can't help with that so I took the PC into the store.  They couldn't figure out how to open the machine to extricate the CD - it's still in there - it happened to be a brand new copy Count Basie plays James Bond. Belongs t my son who is not happy about this.  The problem with these all-in-one PCs is that the disk tray is vertical instead of horizontal - easy for a CD to fall out.  Overall the unit has  some loony design - the start button on the computer is under the monitor - you need a magnifying glass to find the icon that indicates the spot where you should fish around with your finger. They stuck a little piece of tape on the spot to guide you - it hangs down a quarter of an inch.  

Thanks everybody.

#14 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:44 PM

I turn 90 in 2 days and education never stops.

Happy Birthday in advance! I have never in my life even heard of someone as mature as you operate a computer. Heck, I've never seen anyone at this age work anything electronic apart from ovens and TVs. Nice!:)

#15 DraculaDarling

DraculaDarling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:16 PM

Thanks.  I still have a portable Olympia made in the mid-1930s, got my my first word processor in 1988 and my first computer in 1997. The same day I read about a man in Seattle who lost his cool and started pumping bullets into his computer. Police had to come to calm him down and take him away.  I wondered if that could ever happen to me and then realized it couldn't because I don't have a gun.  But I have to say one thing - computers have taught me self-control and patience. I see you're in Bulgaria. I'm in Toronto, Canada. Today I bought some Kashkaval and Feta from Bulgaria.  What a coincidence. I was born in the former Austrian province of Romania and I found some pictures of my mother and father on their honeymoon in Varna, Bulgaria, circa 1925-26.  Small world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users