Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

favorite web browser

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 bug1971

bug1971

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:09 PM

I was just curious to know whats everyone favorite web browser. Mine is Edge but i am having problems with it so in the meantime i am using Firefox

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,290 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:31 PM

I've been a long time dual user of Firefox and Chrome.   Opera and a lot of the other Chromium offshoots are good, too.

I have not liked any MS browser in a very long time and I have given Edge a shot, but personally hate it.  For me it is painfully sluggish, and particularly if you haven't visited the browser window in a while and jump back in again - if that went away I'd be perfectly OK with it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#3 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:31 PM

Definitely Chrome.....and as Brian says, the Chromium 'offshoots' (FlashPeak's 'SlimJet' browser, and SRWare's 'Iron' browser in particular) are very good too.

Up till autumn 2008 I was a diehard FireFox user.....then the 'beta' preview of Chrome became available for trial & feedback. I liked what I saw, so gave it a spin.....and was instantly 'hooked'. I'd never come across anything that ran so fast, or was so responsive...

Unfortunately, they've all turned into lumbering 'supertankers' with the passage of time; that first version of Chrome (buggy as it was) tipped the scales at a 'mere' 19 MB (44MB installed); the current 64-bit release of Chrome 61 is a tad over 80MB (and over 200 MB installed..!) I still use Chrome 26 in one of my Puppies; Lucid 5.2.8.7, based on Ubuntu 10.04 'Lucid Lynx', because it's the newest still supported by the very old glibc in Lucid (2.11.1)..!

I don't mind, though; using it again for the first time in several years reminded me of why I fell in love with it the first time round. It's way more responsive, and a lot more nimble than its descendant.....and no, I don't use it for anything sensitive; just general browsing.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 14 September 2017 - 03:42 PM.

If the information given has helped you, please remember to say 'Thanks!'

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario desktop; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 1 TB  USB 3.0 drive, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 2 x 128GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' USB 'external' storage.

XQxSFqE.gif

#4 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:17 AM

Google Chrome on Windows 10

Opera on Windows Vista

I did like using Firefox on Windows Vista but recently it operates more slowly than I like.  I still use it some.

#5 garymiller

garymiller

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:02 AM

Chrome all the way. Although in the beginning, there were issues like, Chrome eating up a lot of your RAM, but as the updates set in, Chrome became quite stable and now I use it both on my PC and smartphone as well. If I would to give a second suggestion, that would be Mozilla. I use Mozilla for watching Youtube videos, social media and Chrome for official work. Somehow, this is my setting nowadays. 

#6 bug1971

bug1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:49 AM

I am trying really hard to keep Edge as my favorite browser but its starting to piss me off. So now I use chrome and firefox. Microsoft insists that we use their browser but its kinda hard when it NEVER works right.Microsoft wonders why Chrome is the most popular browser! mmm! that's a hard one

Edited by bug1971, 14 September 2017 - 09:55 AM.

#7 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:49 PM

I use Windows 10, and I keep Edge as my default browser because it loads fast - if some program is going to open a browser window for me (to answer a survey or whatever) I'd rather not wait any longer than I have to. For most browsing I use Opera, which has a lot in common with Chrome.

I also have a copy of Pale Moon portable version on my computer which I don't download any extensions or add-ons to. Certain websites, especially websites for radio stations and programs that you can stream from, don't work properly with the extensions I normally add to my browsers (uBlock, ghostery, flashblock, and similar.) I use Pale Moon for those sites. 

#8 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:57 PM

Personally, I've never found Microsoft's browsers to be worth a s**t. Come to that, having used their OS for around 25 years, then Linux for around 3 1/2, I know which makes more sense to use, and work with, and maintain.

There's nothing logical about the way the Windows OS is laid out; it's an untidy mess, with bits tacked on here & there like an afterthought.....and a half-hearted one, at that. I'm not knocking it the way some Linux diehards do, but I can genuinely see things from both sides of the fence, having used both for some time.

I genuinely believe MS's problem to be that, although they've tried to incorporate new models, and new methods of doing things, the actual layout of their system is stuck in a time-warp; they've clung doggedly to the way the original founder laid it out.....and at the time, it was something of a compromise. It was never laid out in such a way as to allow for future expansion/diversification.....and it shows.

TBH, it was never really built in such a way as to actually offer innovation to the end user. Right from the word go, Windows has been all about generating revenue.....and protecting that income, almost to the exclusion of why an OS exists in the first place.

Most definitely, they have never been any good at building browsers. They've always been slow, sluggish, even.....balky, awkward to use, and often totally unresponsive. Was it any wonder I switched to FF at the beginning, then Chrome 10 years ago?

Compaq Presario desktop; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 1 TB  USB 3.0 drive, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 2 x 128GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' USB 'external' storage.

XQxSFqE.gif

#9 bug1971

bug1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:59 PM

Thanks guys for the great  input

#10 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:03 PM

We all have our preferences. Diff'rent strokes, etc....

For me, it was Chrome, from that very first beta evaluation release. And I've never really found anything 'better' to make me change my mind....

XQxSFqE.gif

#11 DigitalAkbar

DigitalAkbar

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:28 AM

There are many browsers on the internet but the top five are Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Internet Explorer, and Safari. Each browser has its perks and downfalls. But I'm a loyal user of Chrome Browser from a long time. I love the extensions provided by Chrome.

There is a high chance of getting virus attacked from Internet Explorer. I use to be a fan of Firefox browser but it crashes frequently.

I don't know whats happening with Firefox whenever I use it, it crashed both on PC and Mac. 

So I love Google because of the free stuff it provides.

#12 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 29 September 2017 - 05:45 PM

My favorite is Firefox.

#13 managel

managel

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 07:00 AM

Depends on what I have to do . For handling large amounts of form fields Edge/IE works the best.   Work horse is Chrome. 

Edited by managel, 30 September 2017 - 07:01 AM.

#14 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 30 September 2017 - 01:32 PM

Chrome because built-in sandbox, appcontainer capability, bug bounty so vulnerabilities are quicky discovered and solved. 

Emsisoft Community Manager

#15 sampe

sampe

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 01 October 2017 - 05:50 PM

I love Chrome and have been using it for several years. Functionality it is great, and I feel there are so many addons that allow you to customize it in any way you see fit. It also integrates nicely with the other Google products I use. I used to use Safari, but Chrome is much better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users