Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop wont wont POST but sometimes fully boots

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 scatman11700

scatman11700

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:24 PM

Hello everyone,

I am coming to you all with a rather peculiar problem. A couple of days ago I was using my Dell XPS 15 when all of a sudden it turned off. When I say it turned off I mean it just went black and everything powered down instantly. After rebooting it the same thing happened after about 5 minutes. Since then, Whenever I press the power button the fans start turning and the keyboard light up for about 3 seconds before everything shuts off again. Most times I cannot even get into BIOS, however, sometimes the computer decides to boot normally and I can get into windows just fine until it shuts off again. Even stranger is that if manage to turn the computer on and get into windows in safe mode, the computer does not shut off unexpectedly at all. 

I  thought at first it was an issue with the motherboard since I couldn't even get it to POST, but now I am writing this post from the very same computer but it is in safe mode. I am completely stumped as to what kind of issue this is, so i'm sorry if this is being posted in the wrong forum... 

Thank you for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 24,382 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:54 AM

Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

If you have problems with it running it, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities.  
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Report Set #2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:
You may not need to log temps - if uncertain, please ask.

To make it work (log the temps to a file) you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

If unable to get into Windows, you can start with these free bootable hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

If unable to boot to them, then the problem is at a low level in the hardware (and the approach depends on if this is a Desktop, All In One, or Laptop system)

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have lessened and I'm able to post/respond without too much difficulty. (05 Sep 2017)
FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.

If the eye problems come on suddenly, I may not be able to respond.
If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 scatman11700

scatman11700
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:13 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response! I'll be sure to follow your instructions ASAP. If it help at one point I managed to get into the BIOS and in the power event logs it said there was an ASF2 force off error?

Thanks!

#4 usasma

usasma

• 24,382 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:56 AM

Googling that shows lot's of hardware problems.
I'd suggest posting over in the Internal Hardware forums for some more expert advice:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have lessened and I'm able to post/respond without too much difficulty. (05 Sep 2017)

#5 scatman11700

scatman11700
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 01:47 PM

Thanks I'm taking a look right now.

#6 scatman11700

scatman11700
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:49 AM

Hello! 

I managed to find a solution to my issue:

I let the battery discharge then opened the laptop and unplugged the PSU and battery. After that I held the power button for 30 seconds and plugged everything back in and closed up the computer. I then pressed the Power button and the D key to run some kind of hard graphic test and  the computer has been working fine since then.

Cheers!

#7 usasma

usasma

• 24,382 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:13 AM

Glad to hear that you've fixed it.

Thanks for letting us know - it'll help others who come looking for help with similar problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users