Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to complete updates

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Andyhspain

Andyhspain

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:47 AM

Hi, this morning my laptop (old Sony Vaio)Started a windows 10 update but froze at 30% and now says we couldnt complete updates Undoing changes - do not turn off computer - i havd after 3 hours this morning turned off then on and same thing happens - nothing is working, cannot ctrl alt del - its just stuck! Any suggestions please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 2,919 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:52 AM

Are you trying to upgrade to Windows 10?

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#3 Andyhspain

Andyhspain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:54 AM

No windows 10 already installed - system just started running update this morning

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 2,919 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:01 AM

Please try below programs one at time.

Download and run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/512a5183-ffab-40c5-8a68-021e32467565/windows-update-troubleshooter

Automatically reset Windows Update components

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#5 Andyhspain

Andyhspain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:07 AM

But i cannot as the system is stuck with the on screen message - how can i access other programs?

#6 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:07 AM

just let it set overnight if need be, the restore process can take many hours.

look at your hard drive activity light if it's on/flashing then your computer is working at fixing the issue.

just let it continue and if it doesn't come out of it then you have to do a factory restore and you can force repair mode where you'll be able to get to the restore option.

but just give it time to finish.  I had one computer it took almost 24hrs to revert back and work again.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 4,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:30 AM

Also, do you know what kind of update?   By this I mean was it a major version update where you're going from something like the Anniversary Update (Version 1607) to Creators Update (Version 1703) or was it one of the minor updates that would possibly change the dot number on a build within a version?

In any case, I second mightywiz's observation that there are times when it takes a very long time for Windows Update to undo a partially installed update that fails near the very end of the install.  I would fire up the machine and wait up to a day if necessary for it to try to roll back to its previous state.  Let's hope it only takes hours.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1703, Build 15063

". . . American business has yet to learn how to measure the productivity and effectiveness of professional and technical employees.  As a result, employees who get little done, but spend a lot of time doing it, are often rewarded more than those who fulfill or exceed job requirements while keeping reasonable hours.
     A job that routinely requires 60 to 80 hours per week is mismanaged, understaffed, or staffed with the wrong person.  A badly managed firm isn't a good place for men or women, parents or not."  ~ Sophie M. Korczyk

#8 Andyhspain

Andyhspain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:28 PM

Ok thanks for your help, lets see what happens tomorrow. Fingers crossed!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users