Hopefully someone can give me some assistance as I am all out of ideas.
I have an oldish desktop (about 5 years) that all of a sudden has developed a massive problem,
I am using separate SSD's with WIN10 on one and Linux Mint 18.2 on the other and a 2TB HDD for data, I simply boot into the OS I want when it loads. Been doing this for quite a while now no problems. We have about 5 computers in the house (between 2 of us - so not all being used at once).
However, for the last few weeks or so, when I turn on the computer it POST's correctly and it doesn't matter what OS I choose it causes the modem/router to drop out completely. It re-syncs for 30 secs / 1 min / 5min / etc then drops out again. Wired network. TP-Link TD-W8968. This only occurs when I turn this one machine on.
Motherboard is Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H - with 2 onboard network adaptors.
I have done the following:
* Reset/rebooted modem countless times.
* No IP / MAC conflicts that I can see.
* Virus / Malware checked all drives with both Kaspersky and Malwarebytes after removing the drives and using dock.
* Current network drivers.
* Unplugged the Ethernet cable(s).
* Unplugged peripherals except monitor.
* Unplugged all peripheral except the box.
* Unplugged the drives - no peripherals except box.
* Removed CMOS battery and left off (removed power cable) for an hour. And the real kicker...
* Took the now driveless box to another room and powered it up ... POST's and then modem dropout... WTF?
It's been a long day and I'm sure I've missed something obvious to try... any help will be greatly appreciated.