Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading my Dell Optiplex 7040

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jgcvaleroso

jgcvaleroso

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:53 AM

I bought a Dell Optiplex 7040 mini-tower recently. It has an i7-6700 octa-core processor, 8gb ram. I wanted to upgrade it's hardware so I can play high demanding games on it. I slotted in a GTX 1050ti low profile and a 450w pcu but it doesn't fit inside so I left it sitting outside the case for now. My problem is whenever I run games like Tomb Raider or Fallout 4, the computer shuts off after a few minutes. I thought it was an overheating problem so I removed the case cover then pointed a ventilation fan while I running a game again but still, the computer shuts off. Can anyone help me? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:09 AM

you can start by downloading and running speccy, post the log here, this will show the temps of your system

AFTER you run speccy i would inspect the cpu fan and heat sink assembly,

do they look dusty and dirty?

even if you cant see much dust i would remove them and clean them, apply new thermal paste when reinstalling

run speccy again after you clean the fan/heat sink and post here again

in my experience, aftermarket power supplies dont normally fit into dell cases, they have a unique power supply design

Edited by mikey11, 13 September 2017 - 06:13 AM.

#3 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:11 AM

What brand 450W psu are you using? A Seasonic SS-350TGM psu should work for that Dell 7040 pc. The GTX 1060ti has a 300W requirement

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151115

A cheap 450W psu may or may not be able to provide the necessary power requirements to run your pc. Power supplies are "get what you pay for" and many "cheap" PSU's are not up to spec to what they claim to deliver

Edited by Joe C, 18 September 2017 - 08:16 AM.

#4 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:29 PM

Does your case support a standard ATX PSU if so I would say go for something like this - http://amzn.to/2yqSzbs

I Love Lamp!

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:55 PM

What brand 450W psu are you using? A Seasonic SS-350TGM psu should work for that Dell 7040 pc. The GTX 1060ti has a 300W requirement
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151115

A cheap 450W psu may or may not be able to provide the necessary power requirements to run your pc. Power supplies are "get what you pay for" and many "cheap" PSU's are not up to spec to what they claim to deliver

Google also says you'll need adapter for ATX connector https://www.amazon.com/Eyeboot-8-Pin-Supply-Adapter-Motherboards/dp/B01A210HKO

#6 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:54 AM

Yup... could be the reason as to why is shuts down

Edited by hamluis, 23 September 2017 - 02:38 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users