Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the difference between PowerShell and the Command Prompt?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Aikame

Aikame

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:02 AM

I often follow guide to fix things on Windows and sometimes it requires to do commands in the PowerShell and sometimes in the Command Line. 

What is the difference between PowerShell and the Command Line?

Can you do everything in the Command Line that you can do in the PowerShell? Or the other way around?

What type of things would you do in the PowerShell as opposed to the Command Line?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:34 AM

Hi :welcome: to BleepingComputer,

This should give you some ideas https://www.howtogeek.com/163127/how-powershell-differs-from-the-windows-command-prompt/

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 881 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:07 AM

Hi, powershell is slowly replacing command prompt (deprecated is the term) however, too many of us still use cmd prompt for system control (batch files etc..) so it isn't going anywhere soon. BTW if you open powershell and type cmd (press enter) cmd prompt opens within powershell and all cmds work.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:55 AM

Also, although someone has identified one exception (and I can't remember right now what that was), virtually every command prompt command is aliased in PowerShell.

As far as following step-by-step instructions that ask you to do something in Command Prompt the odds are very, very good that you can do exactly what's asked in PowerShell instead.

The converse, however, is not true if the step-by-step instructions are using native PowerShell syntax.  PowerShell came after Command Prompt and, as is noted by jenae, there exist millions of .bat files that contain scripts written in Command Prompt syntax.  Microsoft knew that most of these would probably be simply converted to PowerShell by changing their extensions to .ps1 (PowerShell Script) and wanted them to be "runnable as is."

I need to try this with a couple of my .bat files that I still use.  I know that I still issue quite a few Command Prompt commands in PowerShell, using their old syntax, and they work just fine.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users