Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Almost scammed

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 landsend

landsend

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:34 PM

Hello all,

as the title of my thread illustrates, our household was nearly caught up in an online scam. My mother did not give away any financial information or money, yet she did mention the machine was remotely accessed by the person claiming to be a computer technician over the telephone.

Since then, I did a clean installation of Windows 7 Home Premium. I made sure to format the entirety of the C drive before said installation. The only files I kept were my documents, music, pictures and videos (of which I scanned fully with Avira Antivirus before backing up).

My question is, what should I do now? I've been thinking of changing the rest of our passwords (emails, Amazon account, wireless router/network etc.), yet I'm unsure of what else can or should be done.

For reference, my current machine is an ASUS G74SX-BBK7 with Windows 7 Home Premium as its operating system.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users