Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

boot sector recovery issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dellyz

dellyz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:42 PM

Hello,
I have a HD that was not accessible in windows. I installed Testdisk and determined the boot sector was bad.

Originally i had 2 partitions ( OS Partition / Data Partition ) with about 750gb/1tb used. When i ran testdisk i didn't do a deepsearch to locate the partitions but i repaired the boot sector by copying the backup boot sector. I'm not sure what i did wrong but now i have only one partition of 930gb, with 27gb used.. But the drive itself is empty when i access it. So my question is: where are all the files, and is there anyway of getting my 2 partitions back? When i ran testdisk again i was able to see both partitions after i selected the deeper search option, but unsure what to do at this point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Edited by hamluis, 13 September 2017 - 05:03 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Backup/Imaging/Disk Mgmt - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:46 AM

You followed this?

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 19,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:31 AM

If you can access the partitions using a deeper search then do the following to pull your data before attempting to restore the partition table.

Get another 1TB USB external drive. Copy the Testdisk folder to the USB external. Run Testdisk and do a deeper search. Highlight the DATA partition and press "P". If you see your files you can either press ":" to select individual files or lower case "a" to select all files. Press upper case "C" and then "C" again to confirm the location of the files to be copied which will be the Testdisk folder on the new external drive.

Please post an image of the Deeper Search. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users